PDA

View Full Version : need quick answers please

rmdavis
09/17/2001, 10:39 AM
hello all.. I am looking at ant probably buying a 90 gal tank this evening that has aobut 175 lbs live rock... fish corals pumps lights the whole thing.... it has been set up about 2 years according to the owner...
what I need to know is the best way to get it from there to My house is only about prob 10 minutes away... and if once get it here can go ahead and set it back up or if will have to cycle the tank again?

thanks

TangHeaven
09/17/2001, 11:10 AM
This is how I got my 120 gallon tank. So I will tell you what I did..right or wrong :).

I started about 25 gallons of water as soon as I knew I was getting the tank...it ran for about 24 hours.

I took over as many clean sterile containers as I could for the saltwater that was in the tank. I removed everything from the tank. I covered the rock with wet newpaper. We left the sand and crushed coral in the tank with water level same as it.

After moving the tank around quite abit, the tank water was a mess...I put all the LR and stuff (other than the fish) back into the tank. You are stirring up all the good and the bad..and the ugly. So I let it sit for several hours and it slowing settled down. I kept the fish in a bucket with air and heat and lightly covered...so they didn't stress. After about 10 hours I was able to put the fish into the tank. I didn't lose 1. I also moved a 55 gallon the same way, with the same luck.

I did a 10% water change once a week for about 3 weeks....and everything was and still is great.

Good Luck!

rmdavis
09/17/2001, 11:12 AM
thanks TangHeaven

rmdavis
09/17/2001, 05:57 PM
bump

Tommyc
09/17/2001, 07:17 PM
I did much the same as TangHeaven. Used styrofoam boxes and rubbermaid tubs for all my rock. Kept the best pieces and the coral in water in seperate tubs and buckets, but wrapped and packed everything else with damp newspaper. Kept some of the water. Moving the tank did certainly stir up everything...the guy had been using an undergravel filter for about 5 years and I don't think he ever cleaned it. Luckily, I was transfering all of the contents (minus the UGF) from his 55 to my new 75 gallon tank, so I had the new water already up and running. Had a little cycle but nothing to be worried about. Everything made it except one blue damsel. Just be warned, that tank is going to be HEAVY. I'd plan on using four people if you leave all the substrate and some water in it. Best of luck.