PDA

View Full Version : Clam won't attach. Any attachment tips?

Jawfish
08/12/2000, 11:27 PM
JimHobbs,

Why, I never thought of Velcro! Thanks for the link. If ya'll use that kind of innovation on your DIY Calcium Reactor you might get to file a patent! (How's that going, BTW?) I take it you just penned your critter in?

EJ,

I'm down to limited space for placement in my tank. (hey, an excuse for my 180!). I'd be at risk of it getting stung from my Galaxy (It's evil, but pretty, and now the Galaxy is 'family'). I would also worry about some of my bristleworms annoying it. I purposefully left the shelf open, planning for the maxima. I don't think he needs all the light now, but he may when he gets bigger.

So far the only thing I can think that would work is molding him a base, custom fit, of marine epoxy. It dries white, and would like like hell though. (And I don't expect coraline algae to cover it there, for the spot is very, very bright 4" below the surface under an Iwasaki 250 (which is only 5" above the water.)

You know, every time I stare at the clam, I have a sudden urge to chase the wife around the living room ;) Go figure....

- Jawfish

Jawfish
08/13/2000, 06:48 AM
I recently got a small T. Maxima, and have what seemed to be an excellent spot for him, on a rock ledge, directly under an Iwasaki. The trouble is my turbo snails have been bumping him off the ledge. He'll land sideways on the sugar-sized sand below, which can't be good.

TRA lead me to believe he would attach shortly. The maxima seems to have no byssal (sp) damage, I noticed no loose fleshy threads, so I surrounded the clam by a small ring of 2" PVC. (The clam is just under 2"). I was hoping this would help keep the snails away until it attaches, but have had no luck.

Any ideas on how to speed up attachment, or lash this sucker down for his own protection?

- Jawfish

jimhobbs
08/13/2000, 06:52 AM
Velcro=click here (http://www.reefcentral.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006604.html) :D

EJ
08/13/2000, 10:17 AM
I have a month old 4" maxima that doesn't seem to want to attach too. Same story - I kept perching him up on the rock ledges but he slowly inched over and toppled. So, since I have a shallow aquarium, I placed him on the bare glass bottom, and aside from some lateral movement, he seems to have found a spot that he likes. I can't tell if he's attached but he is staying still.

He's in a 20gallon with 4x55 powercompacts. He gradually withdraws his mantle toward the end of the light cycle, which I've read is an indicator that he receives sufficient light.

If your lights are intense enough, why not place him on the bottom?

CleveYank
08/13/2000, 12:11 PM
unless my perception is off I have put clam placement at about almost 50/50

50 % that put them high to mid in the displays.
&
50% that put them in the sand.

put it in the sand and see how it does. If it is outstreched and happy then leave it there and be done with it.

Not sure but if memory serves doesn't clam man have his largest clam right on the bottom of his tank?