PDA

View Full Version : 2 part question (fuge & glass drilling)

SoupySteve
05/18/2004, 02:32 PM
After looking around the net, I've decided that the the simplest, most visible (I like to watch the "pods"), most flood-proof way to go with a refugium would be an above the tank style.
Currently, I have my half-assed refugium in my sump below my display.
This is the design/concept I came up with. I'd like any comments or suggestions that anyone has. I won't be doing this until my wife and I move into our next place (by August), so there's no huge rush to do this.
If I do decide to go this way with the fuge, I will need to get my 10 gallon tank drilled. Where do I go to do this?

Red Sea Purple Tang
05/18/2004, 03:06 PM
Soup,

Oooooo...projects!

I guess if you don't want to put one in a stand, the top is the best way to go.

Couple things come to mind. If you loose power, and the pump feeding you fuge shuts off, it's going to back syphon into the main tank. You could put a one way valve inline with that, or put the "spout" high in the tank.

Same thinking with the bulkheads. Even though the water will stop back syphoning from the top bolkhead, the bottom one will continue to do so.

So measure how much water volume you're going to loose in the fuge before you drill anything, that way you won't flood the 55g.

I had Benswanger (sp?) Glass on Campbell drill mine. It was around $5-7 a hole.

Are you going to get a bigger thank when you move? :D

SoupySteve
05/18/2004, 03:31 PM
I was hoping that by having the two holes drilled, the water would always be siphoning out the bottom hole (the one with the pre-filter sponge ) over it - IF the sponge gets too dirty and slows the flow of water, the water level can rise until it hits the higher hole... I did this just as a precaution.
If the power shuts off, the only water that'd pour back into the display would be the water that's in the PVC piping and just a hair more that'd been sent from the pump the moments before it lost power? Basically, I want the two holes to be drilled on top of each other, as high as possible in the 10 gallon. I would assume that in the event of a power outtage, MAYBE a gallon (high est.) would siphon back... Am I wrong? I've always heard that assumtion is the mother of all - well you get the point.
As far as getting a bigger tank goes, I am PLANNING to save up as much cash as possible (been selling frags!) and seeing how much $$$ I have when we move. If it all works out, I'd like to buy a 125 gallon setup and use my current display as its fuge. I've been reading some great posts about having a display with a bare glass bottom - keeping your DSB or CC in your fuge. Apparently, if you do this and make as small a "thumbprint" for your LR as possible, you can have a SUPER clean tank - as there's nothing for the detritus to fall into. Been thinking about the small "thumbprint" and seeing if I could make some cool-looking DIY LR that would be super effective used in this method.
I'm rambling... LATER!

Red Sea Purple Tang
05/20/2004, 07:48 PM
I think your idea will work. If you're moving soon, do you still want to put a fuge over your display tank or do you want to put the fuge in your sump?

And what's with this frag thing? What are you fraging?

lil'salty
05/20/2004, 09:13 PM
becareful with the whole barebottom tank thing as no sand means that the rock has contact points with the glass
this can cause stress and lead to cracking
but the tank will stay "cleaner"
but i like the way a sandbed looks
the above the tank refugium sounds really cool though

SoupySteve
05/21/2004, 02:32 PM
With my $$$ situation as it is, I'll not be buying a new tank. I will still use the above tank fuge idea though - as I want to SEE all the junk in the fuge. I plan on using my 30 gallon rubbermaid container as my sump.
Beleive it or not, I've been selling xenia frags! Nothing I can quit my job for, obviously...