PDA

View Full Version : SPS and shrimp death after move, help!!!

rahre1
05/17/2004, 04:21 PM
Someone please help. I need some info on white/cloudy water and SPS/shrimp deaths. Thanks.

I have just finished going from 75g SPS to 25g SPS, with new lights. I know, what a shock. I acclimated well and made this as least stressful as possible. The new smaller tank is very crowded, but flow is good and my water has tested out at 480calc, 4mg/eq alk, Ph 8.2, salinity is 1.025, temp 78., 0-0-0 on amonia, nitrite, nitrate. Here is my problem.... the water is very cloudy/white. I have had 2 shrimp die and I just fragged a purple capricornis because it was in RTN or some other rapid death mode.... tissue blowing away in the current, loss of color to more of a lavender from a VERY cool dark purple/blue.

I know the shock of the move can be responsible for the loss of an SPS, even cleaner shrimp sometimes don't act quite so hardy, but is the cloudiness also an issue? Any ideas on the cloudiness?

I will do an H20 change tonight of 5 gallons - 20%..... just another change/shock I am sure.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/17/2004, 05:27 PM
Do you think the cloudiness is stirred up sand, or a bacterial bloom? (those being the two likely options)

I assume the water was clear before adding it?

rahre1
05/17/2004, 11:15 PM
Not stirred up sand. I suppose a bacterial bloom is quite possible - I did introduce a lot of live rock with the coral colonies and frags that live on them - probably a lot per gallon of water at least. I lost my monti cap and I definitely still have a lot of upset colonies. I have a blue tipped acro yongei that is "lightening" up.... I hope a little bleaching will not turn into tissue loss. My blue tort and my 12 inch blue stag are hanging in there with no polyp extension.

I did a water change of 20%, stopped dripping kalk for the afternoon when I get a little PH spike, and I have made 5 gallons for another water change tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/18/2004, 06:58 AM
Have you measured ammonia?

rahre1
05/18/2004, 09:40 AM
Amonia, nitrite and nitrate are all zero. The tank had been cycling for about one month prior to adding livestock. I added some live sand from my established reef, there is a hang on aquafuge with macro, and the sand bed is stock high with live rock from the established tank. I tested again this morning and everything tests out.

my yongei is bleaching more, but no tissue loss so far. The water is a little more clear after the change, RODI is aerating right now for a change tonight.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/18/2004, 10:21 AM
About all that I can think of is a bacterial bloom that used up enough oxygen to stress things.

OTOH, if things have died, the bacterial bloom might be the result of the deaths and released nutrients, rather than the cause.

Finally, the cloudiness might be a spawning event, which itself can cause problems in a closed environment like an aquarium.

rahre1
05/18/2004, 12:43 PM
Yongei dead, blue tort loosing tissue, samoensis losing tissue. Nasuta turning pale.. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

rahre1
05/18/2004, 12:46 PM
Do I have to remove what is dying.... this I doubt is a contagion, more likely something in the water... but let me know, thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/18/2004, 12:57 PM
If things are going downhill that fast, yes, I'd remove anything that still looks good.

Are you using tap water?

rahre1
05/18/2004, 01:24 PM
RO/DI with 0 TDS from my TDS meter. I just popped my mag on the side with carbon in case there is some chemical or gas that is the cause. Even my monti digitata are losing tissue - pretty tough to do in my experience.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/18/2004, 02:40 PM
Running carbon is good. Otherwise, I'm not sure I have any good advice.

Anyone else?

rahre1
05/18/2004, 09:56 PM
Death and loss of tissue seems to be slowing after three 5 gallon water changes. The water is still a little cloudy. Can't find my six line wrasse who has always been bullet proof and darn awnry. I still think that much of my SPS is just barely holding on and that I could still lose a colony or two.

Bizarre, my yellow porites is all polyped out and happy looking:confused:

My 8"by8" powder blue stag still shows no polys, but no RTN or tissue loss either..... let us pray!

Thanks Randy for chiming in.

rahre1
05/18/2004, 09:58 PM
Also worth a comment, I fragged a lot of the corals that I thought I could save and moved the frags to my zoo/frag tank.... they look GREAT... all polyps.

I did NOT get my blue tort in time! There is no swear word for that.

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/19/2004, 06:55 AM
I'm sorry about that. :(

Good luck in the recovery.