PDA

View Full Version : Abominable Snow Crab

Old Yeller Tang
09/15/2001, 08:03 PM
Ok, I've tried indentifing this crab for some time without luck. I hope this pic will help in finding out more about this crab. I'd like to keep it if it's safe. http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/4Q/il/if/st85870.jpg

JerseyReef
09/15/2001, 08:16 PM
Did you run it past Dr. Ron?

Q-ball
09/15/2001, 08:37 PM
"Chia-Crab"? :D:D:D

turbo800
09/15/2001, 10:31 PM
I think thats a bottom view of one of your divets Old Yeller:D :D :D just kidding of course!!

davelin315
09/16/2001, 02:29 AM
I have heard that there are "hairy" crabs that eat coral polyps. Did he come in a chunk of coral? If he did, I don't think I'd trust him in my reef. Maybe he'd be friendlier if you gave him a haircut, though....

LisaP
09/16/2001, 12:41 PM
Hi there,

Whoa! That's one real hairy crab!! Kind of cute and cuddly. I thought that about my hairy crab once upon a time....

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/F2/Lb/qW/ky15499.jpg

The closest ID I could find for mine was a Cymo sp. (maybe).

It arrived in my tank hiding in a Montipora digitata and was impeccably behaved for 48 days. On the 48th night the crab moved to a Seriatopora caliendrum . During the following day it ate a rather large hole in this coral. Needless to say the crab was removed ASAP and dumped into the sump. Not so cute anymore.

I gave the crab a chance and he blew it. IMO never trust a hairy crab.....

Regards

Old Yeller Tang
09/16/2001, 01:00 PM
Hi Lisa, how did you remove it? I stuck mine back into the sump and haven't seen it again. I'm guessing it is nocturnal.

LisaP
09/16/2001, 01:35 PM
Old Yeller Tang,

Hmm, removing the crab..... I guess I got lucky! Fortunately the the coral the crab had decided to tuck into was quite small. I lifted up the coral/rock, chased the crab around for a while with a pair of tweezers before finally knocking it off into a waiting cup. Phew! Easier than I'd expected actually.

You know I haven't checked on the little guy recently, mine's nocturnal as is yours. I must have a look with the torch later.

I feel that the sump jail is the safest place for your hairy crab.

Regards :)