PDA

View Full Version : In-tank refugium and caulerpa ?s

TimD
05/17/2004, 09:12 AM
I recently bought a small plastic mesh box, I guess you would normally use it as a breeder box or quarantine box - it hangs over the side of the tank, the side facing the glass is a clear acrylic piece with plastic mesh (think needlepoint grid) for the other three sides and bottom. Dimensions are about 6" x 6" x 6". I hung this over the back of the 75G aquarium, in the stream of the return flow, and added some caulerpa to it for nutrient export. I don't have the space or resources to have a refugium in the sump on a separate lighting schedule, but I was hoping to add some macro to the tank for nutrient export. This seemed the best way to keep it from just floating around. I used what wouldn't fit loosely in the box in my 12G which is now empty except for some LR and cleanup critters and was running a really high 80ppm nitrates (ammonia and nitrite 0) and it's cut the nitrates down to 40ppm in 3-4 days, so I'm happy with that at least.

I've read some comments in other threads about caulerpa "going asexual" and releasing toxins... what causes this and what can I look for to know if this is happening? The caulerpa I have is the kind that looks feathery or almost fern-like. Some of it when it arrived was obviously dead, and I tried to pull that out as much as I could. Lots of other little critters like feather dusters and a couple small bi-valves of some kind were in there as well. From what I can see, it looks to be doing pretty well, I notice there are some new branches and leaves budding off the main stalks, so I guess it's growing quite well. I'll probably thin it out quite a bit and try to "plant" it in the 12G tank or get it to attach to some rock fragments, then transfer some pieces to my 75G - the amount that's in the 12G tank right now is really probably way too much for such a small tank, it kind of fills most of the open space.

Fizz71
05/17/2004, 11:12 AM
From what I've read..the grape caulerpa type macro (not what you have) is the worst for going sexual. I've had it for about 8 months now with no issues. There was an article about it in this month reefkeeping magazine:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/nftt/index.htm

--Fizz

beaslbob
05/17/2004, 11:23 AM
I have not had very good luck getting the grape caulpera established. But that could be because I first established caulpera profilera.

I recommend either caupera profilera or chaeto (brillo pad). And for a first time small refug- the caulpera profilera. I have had mine for over a year and even in a culture tank with 0 nitrates it just keeps on going.

You might consider a seperate culture tank to grow it in. That way you will have a back up if you lose some in the display/hob refug.

You might also consider some type of in tank refug. I put some egg crate about 3" from the back glass. (And added some cheapie utility lights pointing at the back glass). Macros and pods are thriving in there. And my fish can pick at then through the egg crate. Just an idea.

erc111
05/17/2004, 05:32 PM
beaslbob,

Did you partition off the whole length and depth of the tank?

Fizz71
05/17/2004, 08:19 PM
I too lost my first cualerpa batch..then my second batch came from a fellow reefer and has been a weed ever since.

--Fizz

beaslbob
05/18/2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by erc111
beaslbob,

Did you partition off the whole length and depth of the tank?

Yes I do.

Polychaete
05/19/2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by beaslbob
I put some egg crate about 3" from the back glass. (And added some cheapie utility lights pointing at the back glass). Macros and pods are thriving in there.

Do you have a picture of that from the front? It sounds really ugly.

beaslbob
05/19/2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Polychaete
Do you have a picture of that from the front? It sounds really ugly.

Well unusual anyway. If you absolutely can't stand any green in the display then it will be ugly. Of course you could always add more rocks to cover it up.

Anyway here is a pic. Ohope it will post). This was right after I added it. At least the filter tubes are covered up. :D

The real beauty is the simplicity. I now wish I had started with a 120g and this instead of the 55g and everything else. It would have cost less and resulted in a better system.

Polychaete
05/19/2004, 12:08 PM
Thank you for posting a picture. Sorry about the 'ugly' word. It's definately not to my liking though. Maybe after the coralline overgrows the white it will look better.

beaslbob
05/19/2004, 12:29 PM
Poly: everyone in entitled to their own opinon. and there is no such thing as destructive criticism.

It's almost covered with green (slime) and reds now. But a few white spots remain. And the macros have spread behind the crate. The back lights shinning through is now filtered by the mactos and algaes that have built up on the back wall.