PDA

View Full Version : a Q about aqua safe

igge68
05/14/2004, 05:21 PM
what happens wiht saltvater when u put aqua safe in it beside the skimmer run nuts ?
and is harmful for a reeftank to use it ?
if u put 1 dl in the system ,the skimmer vill get out 10 L
:hmm1:
sorry for my spelling

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/14/2004, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure exactly what is in it. Presumably the slime coating part is what impacts a skimmer.

It may have hydroxymethanesulfonate in it, and I describe what that does with chlorine and chloramine in this article:

Chloramine and the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/index.htm

from it:

"Other products, such as hydroxymethanesulfonate (HOCH2SO3-; a known ammonia binder15 patented for aquarium uses by John F. Kuhns16 (sold as Amquel by Kordon and ClorAm-X by Reed Mariculture, among others) can be used to treat chloraminated water because they both break down chloramine and bind up the ammonia.

The reaction of ammonia with hydroxymethanesulfonate is mechanistically complicated, possibly involving decomposition to formaldehyde and reformation to the product (aminomethanesulfonate; shown below).15 The simplified overall reaction is believed to be:

NH3 + HOCH2SO3- Ã* H2NCH2SO3- + H2O

Even more complicated is the reaction of hydroxymethanesulfonate with chloramine, or chlorine (as Cl2 or HOCl). In this case, the products that are formed have not been established.

So are these useful products? That is, do they eliminate all toxicity from chloramine and provide none of their own, either by themselves or through their degradation products? I cannot answer that question. Almost certainly, using them is better than not using them if there is chloramine in the water. Is the toxicity eliminated for even the most sensitive larval invertebrates? Again, I don't know. Without knowing what the degradation products are, or without detailed testing on a variety of very sensitive invertebrates, I don't know how one would conclude that they are satisfactory (or not). Maybe such tests exist, and if so, I'd be pleased to hear of them. In the end, my recommendation is to remove chlorine and chloramine in other ways, such as through an RO/DI system as described below."

igge68
05/14/2004, 06:04 PM
ok thank u
i have to warn if somebody try it .the skimmer are going totaly insane

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/14/2004, 06:07 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck with the skimmer. :D

igge68
05/14/2004, 06:10 PM
i aint trying it any more
i tok 3.5 DL i my system once my skimmer pulled out 40 L in 6 hour

Randy Holmes-Farley
05/14/2004, 06:28 PM
That's probably a nice mess. :D

Coral_Geek
05/15/2004, 02:28 AM
Tetra calls the active ingredient "rongalit." I'm not sure of the spelling. I'm sure the PVP drives the skimmer crazy.