PDA

View Full Version : Optix, Duraplex Acrylic?

jbichsel
05/13/2004, 03:02 PM
These are two acrylics sold at Home Depot. The Optix appears to be standard acrylic while the Duraplex is called "High Impact". They show these as being used to protect windows.

Has anyone used this stuff for overflow, sump, refugium?

Thanks.

tdool
05/13/2004, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by jbichsel
These are two acrylics sold at Home Depot. The Optix appears to be standard acrylic while the Duraplex is called "High Impact". They show these as being used to protect windows.

Has anyone used this stuff for overflow, sump, refugium?

Thanks.

I am using Optix for an overflow. it just a brand name of Acrylic and a grade level. Optix is the cheaper and works good.

jbichsel
05/13/2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks. Which thickness are you using for your overflow?

tdool
05/13/2004, 06:58 PM
1/4 inch cost me $16 cnd for a 18 x 24 piece

Acrylics
05/14/2004, 09:26 AM
Optix is just plain ol' extruded acrylic, works ok for smaller stuff. The impact modified acrylic is essentially "rubberized" in the resin itself. It fabricates similar to acrylic but tends to be "grabbier" like polycarbonate (Lexan). It generally scratches easier and long term joint strength is questionable.

HTH,
James

jbichsel
05/14/2004, 10:04 AM
James,
Since you're an acrylic fabricator, would you say that using the .093-.188 thick Optix would work for an overflow?

How about the .236" for a sump refugium considering there will be baffles side-to-side internally? I anticipate my sump/refugium will end up being about 36"L x 15"W x 15"T.

Would the Duraplex be acceptable for either or would you be leary of it do to the long term joint strength question?

Acrylics
05/14/2004, 10:25 AM
I usually recommend nothing thinner than .236 for anything of this sort :)
For the sump, I'd recommend 3/8" or better unless you plan on using perimeter flanges, then 1/4" is ok. Others have made the sumps that size with 1/4" but have real bowing problems which can lead to other problems down the road.
I wouldn't recommend the Duraplex for tanks at all.

James