PDA

View Full Version : May's speaker

thereefgeek
05/10/2004, 11:32 AM
Ever wonder how the fish we buy get from the ocean to the LFS? The presentation for May will be about just that! In Feb of this year I spent two days filming the collection process of Cook Island Aquariun Fish LTD. on the island of Rarotonga in the South Pacific. The owner Chip Boyle invited me to tour his holding facility, dive with his employees and even try my hand at catching fish. Some of the fish we collected (it's harder than it sounds) were flame, emperor and lemonpeel angels, flame hawks, chevron tangs, ventralis anthias, and several others as well. Chip only uses nets to collect, and makes sure all fish are healthy before shipping. His primary distributor in the U.S. is Quality Marine in So. Cal. If you go to www.qualitymarineusa.com and check the fish listings, all the fish from the Cook Islands were caught by Chip. See you on the 21st. BTW, there will be a functioning laptop at this meeting:lol: .

Undergrad
05/10/2004, 06:55 PM
Well shoot! I'm really interested in this presentation, but I can't make it to the meeting that Friday. Any chance of someone recording this presentation for me? I could throw in a kenya tree frag, some macro algae (spaghetti, razor, and feather), and/or some southdown sand to make it worth someone's while.

Actually come to think of it... it might be a good idea to keep a video library of all our guest speakers so people can see previous presentations they weren't able to attend. I'd offer to do this if I had a video camera, but I don't. Anyone up for this?

Arlan

thereefgeek
05/12/2004, 04:45 PM
Oh yeah, we're going to have some coral on the raffle table, too.

budgetyourself
05/12/2004, 08:50 PM
Eddie from Tropical Paradise has given us a $50.00 gift certificate to his store that will be in the raffle.

thereefgeek
05/13/2004, 09:09 AM
NICE!