PDA

View Full Version : looking for neon toadstool

catdoc
05/09/2004, 10:26 PM
I'm keeping my eye open for a frag of the toadstool leather with the neon green polyps, know where I can get one without going bankrupt? Everything I see online is priced out of my range, not even considering the shipping. Hoping that someone here local might have one. I'm also interested in a bta. I've already got an rbta, but I'd like to get a green one too (the one with the purple base).

LMK,

jimmyp
05/11/2004, 01:19 PM
well i make it a point to never plug the company i work for, for various reasons. but as i was acclimating a shipment today, this gentlemen from columbus, oh came into our store to look around. he told me that he has a 70g reef system. he is looking to make some green frogspawn frags and sell them to us. he also told me that he has a green toadstool leather that has a 4 inch diameter base and is 14 inches tall. he says that it regularly spits out smaller baby toadstools and that he has no need for them. he described the color of them as being like a green chromis. ive never seen toaddstools like that before and i told him that im looking to get a leather coral. ive been unable to decide on which type, until today that is. i showed great interest and told him to please bring us some. he plans to be back on thursday with them.

i see that you are from indiana. im not sure where or if its worth your drive, but i work for gerbers tropical fish in dayton, oh. http://www.saltwaterwarehouse.com the website is not very big or terribly current, but it gives directions. if this interests you, please feel free to call me, jim, during normal business hours. i work mostly wholesale and some retail here. or you can reply for a status report. hth

jim

gwrulzmylife
05/11/2004, 04:50 PM
I might have to go investigate this place! You usually have lots of selection?

gwrulzmylife
05/11/2004, 04:50 PM
I might have to go investigate this place! You usually have lots of selection?

jimmyp
05/12/2004, 09:28 AM
for the most part yes. the warmer months are our slow(er) season due to aquariums being an inside hobby. but we have 15k g of sw. thats 2 5k fish only systems and one 5k invert/coral/anemone system. we also have 5 reef tanks that we house our better corals in. our fw dept has around 280 species-only tanks in addition to pond fish(koi), some amphibians, and a mixed african/south american cichlid tank. and of course numerous feeder roseys, comets, and ghost shrimp. its kinda messy as our wholesale business is our primary concern. we are planning to expand into a 4th adjacent building in the next year for a larger retail operation. its hard for me to describe being an insider. we get ppl saying that were expensive and our selection sucks, but then we have ppl saying that our prices are great and they've never seen so many fish. i like it and have never seen anything similar. apparently we have the largest selection in ohio. we also supply 2 major local chains and independent pet stores as far away as in, mi, wv, ky, and the cleveland area. ive only been working here for just under a year but ive learned so much and it never ends. i could say plenty more, if you like. feel free to call me or pm me anytime. i am the primary marine wholsaler and caretaker. but its a big job, so i have plenty of help.

jim

jimmyp
05/12/2004, 09:38 AM
oh and btw, if you do make the drive out here ever, it may be worth your time to haggle a bit with the owner. he is the only person here that has the authority to do that. his name is john gerber. the more you buy and the farther the drive, the better luck you will have with that. he is an interesting character in both good and bad ways. thats one of the reasons why i dont advertise this place here. ive had some bad luck working for small business owners. :(

and we dont advertise it, but we are usually open on wednesday evenings for our hardcore customers. when we open on thursdays at noon, we are usually quite busy. of course thats when the best selection is to be had. i do some retail work on thursday and sometimes fridays-never weekends. but our staff is very knowledgable. we each have our specialties-mine is sw fish. and between us all we can get you sorted. hth

jim

catdoc
05/12/2004, 12:25 PM
So, do the "hardcore" customers on Wed get the pick of the shipment? That's the day I want to come, LOL!

BTW, sent you pm regarding amphibians as I have some to get rid of.

jimmyp
05/13/2004, 08:49 AM
yeah its pretty much first come first serve. i got your message and will run it by the owner today. ill also let you know when and if the toadstools show up

jim

cwegescheide
06/07/2004, 03:38 PM
Hi Christy,

I am almost positive I know the coral that your refering to and I too paid WAY TOO MUCH to aquire a frag of it. I have had my frag for about 6 mos now and is growing quite nicely. It indeed has the bright green polyps with the purplish base. I paid 100 bux including shipping. Yeah I was a dumb**s If you would like a frag I might be able to hook you up for a trade for something. I would like for someone to have this coral just incase something happens to my tank I can get another frag.

Let me know. I live in Speedway btw...

Chris

DensityMan
06/08/2004, 10:29 AM
sign me up as interested as well...

I keep a softie-dominated tank and am always insterested in the more brightly colored of the families.

I have trades as well as green paper (but would rather wait in line behind Christy - no use pushing to the front) :lol:

Aside from this neon green toad I am STILL searching for a local source of the near mythical pulsing sinulara... (Help?)