PDA

View Full Version : Aqua C Remora

tasha369
05/06/2004, 07:59 AM
I have the presimmer on my Aqua C Remora protein skimmer. It says the exit side of the preskimmer box can have another filter material put in the box besides the small black sponge it came with. Does anyone know what material would be used.?

kwjones
05/06/2004, 08:08 AM
I use a filter media bag filled with carbon.

raydz
05/06/2004, 09:32 AM
I've used a phosphate remover.... and it worked very well. Just be sure to rinse things off once in a while so the return does'nt back up.

tasha369
05/06/2004, 11:49 AM
raydz,
If I use a phosphate remover(such as Kent Marine Phosphate Sponge), couldn't I also use a Nitrite, Natrate, and or amonia removers(such as Kent Marine Nitarte Sponge) at the same time?

Not that I have a problem, but why not improve the tank as much as possible.

tikki50
05/06/2004, 11:56 AM
Well make sure to do your research on those nitrate removers and phosphate removers some leech chemicals back into the water. Phosban has been good for me by seachem. I also Use black diamond carbon too. I dont think you want to add a nitrite pad that would break down the cycle of the tank. I add an ammonia pad only when a large inhabitant dies so I can get the spike down asap with it. Afterwards I remove it and clean it off.

Your running a Remora, How do you like it? I can't belive it holds up with a 75. Mine is on a 40 with a 20 sump and does horrible. My Red Sea Berlin collects 1 cup in 3 days, remora 1 cup=2weeks.

Good luck.

raydz
05/06/2004, 01:14 PM
My experiance has been with Phos-Zorb by American Pharmacuticals.....The bag is the right size for the skimmer return. I have also put a bag of charcoal in with good results. I have'nt tried the other products.

ivtec247
05/06/2004, 10:39 PM
do you guys use the filter bag with carbon (or whatever) in place of the foam, or in addition to it?

kwjones
05/06/2004, 10:42 PM
If you have coral, stay away from the aluminum based phosphate removers.

The biggest thing about remora's is you have to keep them level front to back and side to side. If you don't, the bubbles get too big. Make sure you clean out the injection port every month or so. I didn't clean mine for 9 months. My production was WAY down from when I first bought it and the deposits were so hard around the nylon screw, that I had to email Jason and have him send me some replacements because I had to drill mine out before I could clean it.

I skim pretty wet, after I cleaned it and re-leveled it I was emptying the cup of light greenish brown liquid every day for about a month.

I think it's about time for another cleaning....my cup is only half full each day now.

Kevin

kwjones
05/06/2004, 10:43 PM
I used to use the foam, but I took it out because after the break in period I never had microbubbles. My filter meda bag is large enough that it doesn't go through the bottom of the pre-filter box.

Kevin