PDA

View Full Version : OK, final Question for a while

reefnewbee
05/05/2004, 09:10 PM
I just got Fenner's book, so I will be wrapped up in that for a while, but here is my Q...

I need opinions on a FOWLR. I have scaled the topic on RC already and did not find what I needed. My wife (finally) is growing impatient and wants fish NOW! So I am going to do a FOWLR sumpless for the time being. I figure the cycle to tak 3-6 weeks depending on the rock, and I am going to put 50 ish pounds of SD in as well. Lights are going to be, well, the minnimum I may get away with for a FOWLR. I am going to get a AquaC Remora, possibly an AC500 for fuge and a powerhead or two. Does this sound doable to you guys?

PSEUDOREEFER
05/05/2004, 09:14 PM
How big of a tank are you planning?

reefnewbee
05/05/2004, 10:22 PM
29 is the biggest I have...

Misfit6669
05/05/2004, 10:29 PM
Hey reefnewbee
Just remember that there are no stupid questions....

...just stupid people who ask questions.:)

Man, this is what the board is for, post away.
Just noticed somebody selling a Remora on this forum, you might want to check it out if you haven't already.
Brian

reefnewbee
05/05/2004, 10:30 PM
yeah workin on the wife for that....as far as questions go, I'm savin' them all up for after I finish the book. heh

Misfit6669
05/05/2004, 10:33 PM
Good luck.

Vitesse304
05/05/2004, 10:38 PM
It sounds like your trying to rush into it!
:)

But you are doing your research.

The one piece of advice I would give is, buy now what you want. You'll end up soending more money on the long run if you settle for the minimal stuff right now.

Here's what I would recommend. And, after it cycles, you could even add a few corals!

if you want to use your 29, get a HOB overflow, and a 10 gallon or 20L (that's what I'm using) as a sump. glue in pieces of acrylic for the input, refugium, and return area, and a mag 7 return pump. Then get some PC lights. Cheap compared to replaced NO bulbs that won't do squat for ya!

When you break down your costs, sure your gonna spend a little more on adding a sump, but in the long run, you'll be much happier that you did!

You could probably get most of that stuff used from members on this board! a mag pump used, maybe $30. 20L tank, $20. HOB overflow $20, PC 2 x 65 watt retro fits, $100.

Just make sure you've got a hood and stand to accomodate!

Just please don't go with NO lighting...useless, well not useless, would work for a refugium...but that's about it. And don't get a AC500. crap as a refugium. Stuff gets sucked into the intake, and clogs up. And price wise, your better just running a sump!

How about instead of trying to build it yourself, buy a turnkey unit! people are always selling running tanks here when they move, or want to upgrade!

that reminds me...I'm thinking of selling the 55!!!

hope that helped!

Andrew

reefnewbee
05/05/2004, 10:38 PM
Danka(sp?)

bc_slc
05/05/2004, 11:58 PM
I know that your space is limited (dont' know exact dimensions of what you can fit), but smaller systems are hard to run. Evaporation makes a bigger deal, waste makes a bigger deal....

The solution to polution is dilution, and some of the fish that go in a FOWLR can be dirty.

I would try and upsize to the max that that space allows. Taller, wider, longer whatever you can squeeze out. And a sump can help tremendously with that. If the countertop is the only place that will work, then this is going to be tougher, but if your only choices are A) countertop, smaller tank w/ no sump/fuge or B) different location, but can hide a sump and fuge and skimmer underneith, then go for the other location. Had you been to John's house for the meeting before the frag swap you would see how useful it can be to have another volume of water outside the display.

The aquaC is a good choice for a skimmer.

I agree on the PC lighting also. The LR will appreciate the coraline growth. And plus, you will have 6 weeks to work on the wife for other things while it cycles.

killercoral
05/06/2004, 07:07 PM
not really necessary to have a refugium in this setup. even if you want softies still not necessary. skimmer would be more than sufficient. NO light would be fine with no corals. DSB and rock is all you need, keep it simple!

Vitesse304
05/07/2004, 12:22 AM
a refugium is nice because it provides additional filtration. It also provides pods for your fish to eat!

Not necessary at all, but helpful. Heck, you could even just run live rock, no skimmer, and keep a light bio load.