PDA

View Full Version : Test results = Problems?

masterswimmer
05/05/2004, 04:02 PM
I just received my Salifert kits. Mg, Ca, PO4 & Kh/Alk.

Seems I'm having some serious water parameter problems based on these tests.

Ca & Mg the color never even changed. So I had no reagent left in the syringe. Therefore I'm guessing my readings are >500 Ca and >1500 Mg.

My PO4 appeared as .5 (another difficult reading to take) very high, and my Kh/Alk was at 6.4/2.29, very low.

Where do I start here? I am starting to have a green algae growth all over the rock and sand. And a green hairy algae on the back glass and powerheads. Any suggestions?

Other readings are:
Ph = 8.1
Ammo = 0
'trites = 0
'trates = 0
SG = 1.025
temp = 82.3

Yellow polyps, zoo's, featherdusters, mushrooms are all opening nicely. Only one fish, firefish goby is out and about looking real good.

As always, thanx for your help,
Russ

Tomzpc
05/05/2004, 04:25 PM
Russ,

I assume that you've tested more than once?

The first thing to do is to get your alk and calcium back into balance. I'd do a decent size (15-20 gallon?) water change for starters. Are you using B-Ionic? If so, then don't add the calcium portion for a bit and increase your alk dosage for a few days until you get them back in balance. I'd check through some of Randy Holmes Farley's threads here on Rc regarding the alk/calcium balance and how best to fix problems.

As for the phosphates, how is your skimmer doing? Skim as much as you can without causing a flood. If you have a couple extra powerheads then drop them into the tank to really kick up the flow for a bit. Keep your lights off for a couple of days to try and help retard the algae growth. None of your inhabitants will mind a bit. Try to manually harvest algae (a real PITA but it will help long-term) when you siphon water.

Algae outbreaks are very common in new setups, until the tank has had time to mature. Good luck. I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

masterswimmer
05/05/2004, 04:43 PM
I just did about a 15 gallon water change Sunday and Monday. (Sunday I did a 10 gallon change & Monday I had my 5 - 6 gallon mishap).

I am going to manually 'harvest' some of the algae growth and I'm going to shorten the photo period. We'll see how this works and then I'll test again.

Thanx Tom,
Russ

seaham358
05/05/2004, 05:47 PM
what if anything are you adding to the water?
Is that kit able to test fresh water? If so test your ro/di water and see what the reading is for phosphates. Just wondering....
When I set up my 125 I had 1 rock grow the worst hair algae.. Only on 1 rock so I wonder if the LR is a large part of algae growth. Minerals in the rock ect.