PDA

View Full Version : Converting FW to SW opinions needed!!!!!!!

camcutie
05/05/2004, 01:58 PM
Hello I've just traded my africans out of my 125 to convert to sw.
I've talked to acouple different people about the crused coral and dead live rock (if that makes sense:D ) that was in my african tank. A very good friend of mine whose advice I question sometimes, told me it's ok to use the same cc and rock as base rock because anything alive in fresh dies in salt.

I might be crazy but I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a way to clean things for salt water.

I would love to get a few different opinions on this before I go any further with it.

Thank you in advance.

aquababy
05/05/2004, 02:13 PM
Ihave converted marine systems to fresh and vice versa over the years. I was suprised to observe that the bacteria will convert over in each case. As far a crushed coral is concerned I wouldn't reccommend it for any marine environment whether it was in a fresh water tank or brand new from the store - reason being phosphates. All living matter contains phosphates especially the skeletons of dead corals (crushed). These phosphates leech out into your sytem, sometimes at the gravel's surface level where matts of blue/green or purple slime grows as it feeds on the phosphate - even though you might not get a reading of phosphate as a result of a water test. You should really consider getting rid of the crushed coral and replace it with some araganite gravel. Not knowing what kind of rock you are talking about, I will however ask you to be very cautious. Some rock works well in african fresh water set ups but can be a big problem when it hits the marine water. Someone with knowledge of this should take a look at your rock and advise you - perhaps a good LFS.

beerguy
05/05/2004, 02:24 PM
Another concern with the rock would be if it's ever been exposed to copper. Many FW medications are copper based so you really have to be careful. Copper is extremely toxic to most corals, and invertebrates. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me. In the long run, the price of good live rock isn't that much and it could save you from a lot of disappointment.

pbanda
05/05/2004, 02:25 PM
Do you need to worry about copper (comes in some meds)? I know it is bad for invertabrates so you may need to research that as well. Just a thought.
-pbanda

camcutie
05/05/2004, 02:32 PM
thank you I was thinking of losing the crushed coral,
another question same as the rock which may have been exposed to copper what about the tank itself and the filters I will be using? Is there away to clean freshwater equipment to make it safe for salt? I thought I read somewhere there was something maybe bleach, vinegar, or I thought I remembered reading peroxide??????
thanks again

pbanda
05/05/2004, 02:40 PM
Did you ever use copper? If not, then you might not have to worry about it :) Otherwise maybe ask Randy in the chemistry forum as to what to do... or do a search. (read: I am of no help)
hth,
pbanda

pbanda
05/05/2004, 02:43 PM
I am really bored at work today... here is a link that might help:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=358686&highlight=getting+rid+of+copper

camcutie
05/05/2004, 02:58 PM
thank you I'm going to go through my meds now I'll post again hopefully with good news.

DaveJohnson
05/05/2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by camcutie
Is there away to clean freshwater equipment to make it safe for salt? I thought I read somewhere there was something maybe bleach, vinegar
I use both dilluted bleach (1 part bleach to 3 parts water) and vinegar when cleaning SW equipment. Just make sure you rinse very well anything that's been in bleach as it's basically very concentrated chlorine, and we know how bad chlorine is for
marine life.

I've used FW (from cichlid tanks) in SW tanks before with no ill effects, though I did clean everything well.

That's the first I've read that FW and SW bacteria "convert". I didn't think that possible and mostly still don't (the "chemistry" of the salt/water through tissue is wrong to me) But I've certainly not done any experiments to know that the bacteria converted or that one variety (FW or SW) died off and were replaced by their SW/FW equivalent (this is what I've always thought happens)

Cheers,
Dave Johnson

camcutie
05/05/2004, 03:16 PM
Thank you for your replies, another question to add now, I just went through the meds I've used in the tank for the africans (thanks to me saving every box for everything) The only thing I found was in one of the medicated foods I used a few times copper sulfate was one of the 35 ingredients, is this the same thing as the copper your talking about and it being one of so many ingredents in a food that was eaten, do you still think it would effect anything?

camcutie
05/05/2004, 03:45 PM
Bump---Bump---Bump

aquaman67
05/05/2004, 04:12 PM
I think you will be safe. Where most people have problems is if they use copper based medications to treat ich. The copper gets in the silicone seals and kills inverts.

I think if you only used medicated food, there shouldn't be enough to bother anything...good luck!

I got rid of my africans because they kept having babies and I hated to see most of them get ate...

camcutie
05/05/2004, 04:26 PM
Thank you aquaman67 just what I wanted to hear, I can breath again:)