PDA

View Full Version : EuroReef users, pat me on the back and tell me I did the right thing.

Kaiser Tang
05/05/2004, 09:47 AM
After watching my AquaC EV 180 bubble for three weeks, I pulled it out of my sump last night. The thing fired up for about three days, produced a 1/4 cup (that's pushing it) of skimmate and then quit and hasn't done anything since. I've checked everything. You name it, I've done it. I know that you're supposed to give them time, but I'm not messing around with something that takes 2 weeks to fire up and then shuts down and then takes another three weeks to fire up again. That stuff is for the birds. Who's got the time for that. I have a large bioload and can't risk my skimmer not pulling junk. I purchased the EuroReef CS8-3 last night. Should be here in a couple of days. I've heard nothing but good things about these things. (Whereas there are several negetive threads on AquaC) I guess I should have done more research on AquaC. You get what you pay for. The only filtration I have is LR, LS, and some chaeto, so I need a good skimmer. Make me feel good about shelling out $550+ for a skimmer. Hopefully, some poor sap will buy my AquaC off of e-bay.:lol:

Oh BTW, AquaC's customer support is horrible. I e-mailed three times. No response.

gmac
05/05/2004, 09:55 AM
you will be happy. they are expensive, but well worth it. easy to clean and adjust

RJSorensen
05/05/2004, 07:29 PM
Perhaps we can have a two-fer sale on those EV 180's . . .

Let me know how your ER works . . . i am right behind you on this. Welcome me to the club, lol.

Thunnus
05/05/2004, 08:25 PM
You will have no problem selling the Aqua C on ebay. I just sold a Kent nautilus with pump for $152 with pump in favor of a Euro CS6-3 that I ordered. There is always someone willing to pay for your junk on ebay.

Ewan
05/05/2004, 08:58 PM
You will be thrilled with the euroreef.

Mine's been going for about a year now. It's the most consistant skimmer I have ever used. One adjustment, which basically equates to "how wet do you want your skimmate?"

A few weeks ago, I tore mine down for a good cleaning. When I fired it back up, it worked well for days. Suddenly it wasn't skimming as much as I expected (predictability comes with consistancy). I took the front off the pump and discovered a HUGE piece of chaeto in the venturi section. I removed it and I was right back in business.

The funny thing is that it was still skimming much more than my Super reef devil w/mag9.5 ever did.

Bottom line; quality, consistancy, and customer service make the Euroreef a very popular skimmer. It's not just hype.

Have fun. It won't be long, and you'll forget all about fiddling with your skimmer.

E.

daveNandi
05/05/2004, 09:47 PM
I just want to say that I e-mailed Aqua C when I had a problem with my Remora and got great support. Try them again.

MarineMark
05/05/2004, 10:39 PM
I just bought a ES5-2 to replace my bakpak 2r, is the es5-2 a good skimmer ?

Chondro
05/05/2004, 11:00 PM
I have the ES5-2, awesome skimmer.

IIRC, The es's aren't made of cell cast acrylic, and mine has developed some stress lines in the acrylic. It doesn't affect the skimming though. Thats my only complaint.

I ran mine for 19 months and never cleaned the pump, and NEVER had to play with adjustment. This past weekend I gave it a good cleaning, figured it was way overdue.
To my surprise I had 7 tiny snails stuck between the needles of the needle wheel. Those snails didn't even affect performance.

corey lance
05/05/2004, 11:01 PM
I love mine. you will be happy.
Corey

MarineMark
05/05/2004, 11:04 PM
I got mine used, it was the only way i could afford it , i'll sell my bakpak to make some of the money back , i can't wait to get it in!

jun41
05/05/2004, 11:48 PM
Now it's time to sell my horrible Nautilus to some poor sap on ebay and buy myself a EE.

MarineMark
05/05/2004, 11:50 PM
The euroreefs are much better then the nautililus i take it, i allmost bought one of those, how does the ES5-2 compare to the turbofloater and the berlin , i was going to buy one of those two before this deal came up

dkh0331
05/06/2004, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by MarineMark
The euroreefs are much better then the nautililus i take it, i allmost bought one of those, how does the ES5-2 compare to the turbofloater and the berlin , i was going to buy one of those two before this deal came up

I replaced my berlin turbo w/ a ER 5-2. No comparrison what so ever. My ER pulled out more dark smelly crud in it's first two days then the berlin turbo did in two weeks.

KaiserTang - Congrats on your purchase. Go to Ther ER club and learn the club's secret handshake!

David

Big E
05/06/2004, 05:29 AM
In my experiences the 8-3 needs a bigger pump than the sedra 5000. You need the 8-3+ with the two pumps or put a bigger pump on there. It won't give you the performance your paying for over the shorter 8's & ES6 models without it.

staticfishmonger
05/06/2004, 07:00 AM
you have made the right choice and your tanks inhabitants would thank you if they could. good luck you have purchased and awsome skimmer i have never regreted paying thr high price for such high quality. i would do it again in a heart beat.

Todd March
05/30/2004, 06:26 PM
"Hopefully, some poor sap will buy my AquaC off of e-bay..."
"There is always someone willing to pay for your junk on ebay..."
"Now it's time to sell my horrible Nautilus to some poor sap on ebay and buy myself a EE..."

Boy, oh, boy, you guys are some real LOVELY fellow reefers... Just get your personal reefs right, and SCREW the rest of us, your fellow reefers, huh? Do you realize you were all poor saps when you bought these poor quality skimmers? Are you capable of empathy...?

Many of us more "alteristic" reefers come here to post our experiences to HELP other reefers in making better decisions and avoid wasting dollars on silly non-functioning equipment (like you "saps" intially bought). Thankfully there is a real camaraderie around here at RC that seems much more visable than the selfishness I read in this thread...

Ironically one of you made this post asking for reassurance and help in your latest upgragde... Can you say KARMA...!

mjag
05/30/2004, 06:51 PM
I have the ER 5-2 on my 120 cube. When will I know the time to upgrade to the bigger model. It seems to skim very little since the tank has been up, About 1 yr but in the past couple months I have started to add some more fish and seems to be getting more brown alage on the glass and LR. Now, I may have been overfeeding, But I dont think so. Any ideas would be great .

Thanks
Mjag

Tek
05/30/2004, 06:54 PM
"poor saps" I believe just about all of us have had regrettable purchases. I myself have a couple shoe boxes of supplements that are useless. I have had 2 crappy skimmers before buying a CPR Bak and now a Euro reef. All of my buying mistakes happened before running into RC. For the ones that have RC as a resource and do not know how to use the "search button" it is your mistake. Have some ethics and not wish your junk on a fellow reefer.

guitarfish
05/30/2004, 10:03 PM
Not sure why you had trouble with the AquaC. I wouldn't say they are junk by any means, there are plently of us using them and very happy with them. It took some time for me to learn how my EV-120 works, what to check when there's a problem, etc. I've never used a EE but I've read lots of good things about them and would like to try one someday. I hope your EE works good.

Treevore
05/30/2004, 10:12 PM
Although I understand your problem, and feel bad that AquaC has failed in this way, I would like to point out that I have had great success with their customer service.

I bought a used Remora and they sent me a free cleaning brush, even though I told them it was used.

kfisc
05/30/2004, 10:14 PM
mjag- i'm sure you may have checked this, but abiotic precipitation can slow down the impeller quite a bit- there's a white axle on which the impeller should freely spin, and it can be easily removed, washed off- vinegar & water to get the deposit off. anybody else using additives experience this?

mjag
05/30/2004, 10:22 PM
I have ck/d that already . I just didnt know if it way under powered for my tank. It has a small fish load, But I will add more in the future

Mjag