PDA

View Full Version : I will be visiting the Buffalo Area

partagas
05/02/2004, 10:32 PM
I will be in Buffalo next weekend, May 8 for a Graduation. And I would like to know what if any good LFS are around. I will have a couple of hours before the drive back and would love to check out a couple of stores. I would also need directions.

Thanks in adavance for any help.

ReeferMac
05/03/2004, 05:50 AM
Just North of Buffalo in the Tonawanda Suburbs, there are two decent LFS. SaltWaterParadise is on Main St. in Tonawanda. They have a good selection of LPS, usually some SPS, and fish and inverts. I haven't been there in a while, but Joe always had the better of the two stores IMO.
The Fish Place is off Oliver Street in North Tonawanda. Large selection of Fish, lots of unusual one's, too. Handful of corals, modest invert selection. They've really gone down hill the last couple years, but used to be the best in for 100 miles. Not the case now at all. Given my choice, I go to TFP first (as they usually don't have much up my alley, unless it's a weird one, in which case, I usually get it right away). Then SWP, then to Mighty Taco next door while I debate the next purchsae. :) Great local joint. Imagine Taco Bell, except with real beef? ;)

There's a couple of others, but not really worth visiting IMO. There's a good one in Lockport, but that's a ways out of your way.

Depending on your route, there's a couple good LFS's here in Rochester. If you're taking rt. 90 back and forth, it wouldn't be more than an hour out of your way to the LFS's and back (time you spend IN the stores, is up to you.. ;) ). They're on the North east side of the city, but.. like I said, off 90, to the stores, back to 90, one hour. Tops. You can even slant out of town South-East, and shave a little time off.

- Mac

cdgrover
05/03/2004, 02:28 PM
Mac- Mighty Taco moved they are no longer next to SWP!!!

ReeferMac
05/03/2004, 03:01 PM
WHA?!??!?! I hung out in front of that restaurant in high school? Man, now I've gotta find a new place to eat while I talk myself out of buying corals... :D That really blows! (show's you how long it's been since I've been home, too !)

- Mac

dgodwin
05/03/2004, 08:12 PM
They moved about 2 weeks ago. They moved onto niagara st, at the corner of River Road. It's not too far out of the way, but probably not in walking distance. Whenever I'm home, I usually have to stop for mighty at least once (usually late.. too) I haven't been to the new one yet... I'll agree with what has been said about TFP and SWP. I'll add that when comparing like items (dry goods anyways,) I've found Saltwater Paradise to be a dollar or two higher. Maybe it's just been the few small ticket items I've looked at, but that's just my observation YMMV.

partagas
05/03/2004, 08:30 PM
Thanks guys, but I like the idea of " weird ones ". I will ahve to check out that one atleast. And I will be taking I-90 back.

ReeferMac
05/04/2004, 05:28 AM
Well, having lived for a spell in both Buffalo and Rochester, and having been to just about every LFS in between... I can tell you quite comfortably, the Rochester shops are better.
Hehe, the Buffalo boys regularly drive up to see what we got. :D Livestock is not too uncommon up here (you won't see batfish, whereas The Fish Place sometimes has one or two), but that's a good and a bad thing, depending on how you look at it. If I was specifically in the market for getting some fish.. then I'd say The Fish Place would be worth stopping. If it's just to cruise the local reefing scene and see if I couln't pick something up.. Then the Roch. shops will be a better way to spend your time. If you're interested, I coul prolly frag a few SPS too (as could many other's in this club).

- Mac

bigjdotcom01
05/04/2004, 09:46 AM
Gotta jump in here as a former Buffalonian. I loved the Mighty Taco! :D I still try to get there when I go back to see the folks!

partagas
05/04/2004, 10:29 PM
Mac The fraging thiings sounds great, but I do not have anything to trade. My 90 has been up for about a month ( Fully cycled)and all I have in it so far is Torch Coral, Buttons, and a rock with some shrooms. I still have not had to pleasure of adding anything to it yet.