PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal?

reewik
05/02/2004, 09:27 PM
Anyone using charcoal in their tanks? If so how often.

fishdoc11
05/02/2004, 10:04 PM
I run it about once a month in my 75(this is because of my palette tangs HLLE being sensitive to it or I would run it all the time) to clear the yellow up. I run it continuously on my 55. If you decide to run any be sure the brand you get won't leach PO4. Also watch your tank, sometimes adding carbon to a tank that hasn't had it run on the tank in a while will cause bleaching due to the removal of stuff in the water that blocks some of the light from reaching corals.
Chris

Sir Knight
05/02/2004, 11:20 PM
I agree with Chris, I ran carbon(not charcoal) 24/7 in all my tanks. I changed it weekly, but my tanks were very densely stocked. I usually recommend replacing it every two weeks. With good skimming, water changes, and carbon you should have excellent water quality water. Also since you have a mixed reef Softies, Sps, etc. it will control noxious compounds being released into the water column. Also as Chris stated start slowly with it's addition, if your water is yellow or you will have a bleaching event, because of the improved water clarity. One of the better brands is Kent's Reef Carbon.

Hope this helps

reewik
05/03/2004, 06:21 AM
You sure it is not charcoal.. I may want to grill with it!!!! Duh! I put in black diamond by marineland. Is this ok? My water was already pretty clear when I put it in but it looks very clear now. I have not really noticed any thing effected at this point.

fishdoc11
05/03/2004, 06:31 AM
Thats supposed to be pretty good stuff. You might want to test it for PO4 though. I don't think that brand says anything on the label about it.
Chris

SexiShrimp
05/03/2004, 09:31 AM
I had carbon in my 55 reef and took it out because I didn't feel the need for it...it takes out all the good stuff for my reed....I had a high Phosphate count but now it's zero...don't know if it's because I took out the carbon.

:)

Sir Knight
05/03/2004, 12:45 PM
Eric, You sure it is not charcoal..

Believe it or not at one time we could buy either charcoal or carbon for aquarium use. When I started in the hobby you could only buy charcoal at least in my area for aquarium use. I guess I have been in this hobby to long.

Mimi,
Carbon use in the aquarium will take out some things that are good for your tank, Example Iodine, However with proper water changes that should not be an issue. We also remove good things by skimming another example Iodine. All carbons will put Phosphates in the water column if left in without changing at least every two weeks IMO, however the better grades don't contain substantial amounts(Kent reef carbon). With soft corals, zoo's, etc. the benefits outways the negatives. If your tank is, lets say less than 3 months old and you do weekly water changes you may not see any benefit. but by its use you are removing noxious compounds produced by the soft corals, zoo's, etc.

There are people in this hobby that don't even use skimmers.
When ever they tell me they don't need them I say OK. Then I say to them here is the gunk that I produced from skimming. If they will drink it, I will stop saying that skimming is needed:) I know this is off topic but I just wanted to share.

Hope this helps and clears up some of my comments

SRA4031
05/05/2004, 03:11 PM
So can I put activated carbon in my Ehiem, if so, how much, and how often to change.

Sir Knight
05/05/2004, 05:03 PM
So can I put activated carbon in my Ehiem, if so, how much, and how often to change

Yes you can put it in your Ehiem. I would first put the carbon in a media bag.

You will need about 3/4 of a cup for 75 gallons. I recommend changing a least very two weeks.

If your water is yellow, start with about 1/2 of the dosage or about 1/3 of a cup. At this level change it weekly for about a month, your water should be clear by then and then you can change to the 3/4 cup dosage.

The reason for starting with the lower dosage is so you don't clean the water to fast and stress your corals. Remember cleaner water will allow more light into the tank.

Hope This Helps
:beer:

sunamoon
05/09/2004, 08:24 AM
Chris,
you mentioned P04, is that the phosphate? I can not remember all the abbrevitions. But if it is, couldn't that be the cause of my green water since i have been running carbon filter cartridges?

fishdoc11
05/09/2004, 09:00 AM
Sunamoon'
Yes it is phosphate and yes it could be. Phosphate, Nitrate and silicate are the largest contributors to algae problems in marine tanks. What brand are you using? Cheaper brands often release PO4 into the water column.
Chris

Mdwannabe
05/11/2004, 03:16 PM
Think I should incorporate it in my new tank set up? If so anyone know of any DIY way of putting it inline from one of the overflow returns going to the sump?

fishdoc11
05/11/2004, 03:47 PM
You can just put it your sump in a mesh bag in an area of high water flow. That should work just fine:-)
Chris

Mdwannabe
05/11/2004, 03:55 PM
Think I should use it in the new start up, rather than introducing it later?

fishdoc11
05/11/2004, 04:18 PM
I would use it especially in a new startup because of the inevitable dieoff you will get from new rock etc...Unlike the inevitable dieoff you get when your pump quits when you are on vacation. Sorry, had to throw a little humor in there:-)
Chris

Mdwannabe
05/11/2004, 04:35 PM
HUMOR?????; OH yea, that was a business trip not vacation, vacation would have had an upside!:rollface:
Thanks for the input, I'll go with it, though you just cost yourself a free frag for your poor taste in humor!:D

See Ya:
Rick