PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: CPR Bakpak IIR Owners

Cookoopod
09/09/2001, 05:50 PM
Great skimmer if you have to do a HOB for tanks under 55. But even 55G is pushing it. I would save your money and do a sump system with something like a Bullet or ETS RDIII. IMHO, the CPR just doesn't have the umph and I really like doing sumps. Makes your display look so much cleaner.

Nagel
09/09/2001, 06:38 PM
I like my IIR because it works. Just remove the air valve and baffle.

I even fit a Visitherm 150 in the baffle area (where you would put the biobale on a regular bakpak)

Easy to clean, pulls out dark skimmate and not hard to adjust. Just make sure you clean the Rio from time to time and you'll be golden.

FishDaddy
09/09/2001, 06:39 PM
Seahorse Dreamer,
I have both a Bak Pak 2R on a 38 and a Remora on a 55. The Bak Pak does a good job skimming the 38 but it is much more trouble to adjust and clean. The Remora would be a good choice for this size tank. If I had it to do over again, I'd have put a Remora on the 38 and Remora Pro on the 55 but both do ok.
Most of the hang-on skimmers come with Rio pumps and I have replaced these on both skimmers with Maxi-Jet 1200's.
The advice about a sump is good if you can set one up.
Dick:)

rhiggsbear
09/10/2001, 12:09 AM
I have own an original Bak-pak for about six years (I think). Have used it on a 29 gal. Originally had a Skilter 250, then a Skilter 400 but replace them with the Bak-Pak. I recently received one free and just bought a Bak-pak IIR for use on a 75 gal (ok, flame me guys - I know it is only rated up to a 60 gal but keep reading). I had planned on using both on the 75 gal but may only used the IIR. I am hoping by establishing a refugium, I won't need to skim as much or maybe not at all.

As to if I would buy another? I would say yes. I have had good luck with them. I am sure there are better one, but it works for me.

Good luck.

TOM24
09/10/2001, 05:07 PM
I have a BP2R on my thirty and am happy with it. I wished they had designed the surface skimmer with teeth like most other surface skimmers. Some day I'll get handy and make one but even without it seems to work fine.

Wolverine
09/10/2001, 10:15 PM
We've had the Bakpak II on both of our reefs and have been happy, but I agree with the others that it's only good for tanks about up to 55g, and that might be pushing it, depending on the bioload. But they're great for smaller tanks.

Dave