PDA

View Full Version : new refractometer may have saved a tankfull of SPS!

power boat jim
05/01/2004, 07:45 PM
After reading several posts earlier this week on how inaccurate some swingarm hygrometers can be, I ordered the refratometer offered by Fosters and Smith for 39.99 on Wednesday. I also started to lower the salinity in the tank since it read 1.026 on the swingarm. By the time I got the order today I lowered the salinity to 1.024 on the swingarm. I then used the new refractometer and found the salinty to be 1.028! It had to have been over 1.030 for quite some time.

I had been losing a few acros over a loooong period of time and could not figure out why. I now believe I found the reason. Hope this short story helps anyone else who may be having a few unexplained losses and slow growth. Thanks to the people who posted like stories on the board!! It opened my eyes to a problem I did not even suspect.

PITSTOP
05/01/2004, 07:48 PM
Just got my new refractometer, but my swingarrm was only .001-.002 off...not soooo bad. Goood catch though...

Aged Salt
05/01/2004, 08:13 PM
P-B Jim, remember to calibrate the refractometer from time to time as the reading does change over repeated handling,Bob

power boat jim
05/01/2004, 08:19 PM
Yes, you are correct .I have calibrated since I found it to be off .001 right "out of the box".

North Bay 101
05/01/2004, 11:04 PM
Smart move Jim. I found out the hard way and now it is REFRACTOMETER all the way.

zulu_principle
05/02/2004, 01:28 AM
I have purchased a couple of the IO swing arm hydrometers, anyone else fine those way off ??

Like 1.029 to 1.025 on the refractor ??

Are they tested before they are shipped ?

Wendell

wasp
05/02/2004, 05:33 AM
It is common for the swing arms to be out. I do not believe they could be tested before shipping, and also I doubt the price of them would allow that.
It is a must to test them against a known salinity before using them to adjust your own tank. Once this is done though, IMO they will remain accurate with sensible care.
I think we are getting "through the price barrier" with refractometers though, the price is coming down, which means more people are buying them, which means they can be mass produced cheaper, etc...
So maybe one day even an old swing arm user like me might get one!

JENnKerry
05/02/2004, 08:07 AM
Our swingarm was off by .003. Getting the refraco was the best thing we did.

romunov
05/21/2004, 02:59 PM
Instructions on mine say that if room temp changes for 5°F it should be recalibrated with destilled or R.O. water.

This is what I like about refractometers - no tables to account for temperature! ATC über alles. :) Make sure your model has it. :)