PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a used tank.......

swims withthe fishes
05/01/2004, 12:05 AM
It's a 90 gal RR. it sat for the better part of it's life in a LFS. there was feeder fish tubs infront of it that emitted quite a spray of water from bubbles and aeration. the bubbles exploded all over the front of the tank for probably 2-5 years, and left those little white dots all over the front. i gave a really good cleaning with dist. wht. vinegar, vin and a cloth, vin and a sponge, vin and a very course sponge, vin and a razorblade,and i still can't get the white haze completely off of the glass...... i beleive it's from calcium or iron or something like that right? so i was wondering if there is anything more potent i can use on the outside of the glass to attempt to clean it....

we clean our corals(fake) at work with bleach, and use sodium thiosulfate to deactivate it afterwards, so i was wondering if this method will work on the glass, or if the sod. thi. may not penetrate like the bleach does. i know they say not to even use windex on the outside, can i use CLR on the outside?? muratic acid??......... i need to do something cause i will hate my reef if i have to look at it through this nasty glass, but will also hate it if it penetrates and leaches into the tank over the next 40 years and i can't keep anything alive.....
any help appreciated

you peeps rock!
chris

xfactor
05/01/2004, 02:16 AM
try CLR, just make sure you clean the whole tank real good!

why can't you use windex?

05/01/2004, 06:03 AM
That's using windex in a stocked tank.

the Undone guy
05/01/2004, 06:22 AM
lime away worked fairly well for me, give it a shot~

swims withthe fishes
05/01/2004, 10:44 PM
whats the difference between using windex in a stocked tank, and an empty one.

the Undone guy
05/02/2004, 04:53 AM
if you use windex on the outside of a stocked tank, you run a high risk of accidently putting your hand in the water with the ammonia rich windex on your hand. You can be the most careful person in the world, but everyone forgets once in a while. Not to mention that the fumes may make it into the water or air supply of the tank. It's better to avoid windex completely when it comes to fish.

koj11
05/03/2004, 02:46 AM
I've always used windex with no problems. Just wash your hands when you're done. Whoever the "they" is that told you not to use windex on the outside for fear of "leaching" into the tank is incorrect.