PDA

View Full Version : would it be ok to take a sledgehammer to some LR?

loyalty
04/29/2004, 12:42 AM
its ok to bust up rock right? if so, what is the best way? thanks

swims withthe fishes
04/29/2004, 12:52 AM
salright with me as long as you don't kill any critters in the process, i like the hammer and chisel method, makes me feel like a crafty artist. however if you've had a bad day the sledge may be a better choice.

loyalty
04/29/2004, 12:54 AM
so would shaking the rock in the tank be enough to dislodge critters? i dont want to smash up a hermit. should i expect a mild ammonia spike?

swims withthe fishes
04/29/2004, 01:05 AM
give them a good shake and visual inspection is about all you can do really without an x-ray machine. you shouldn't experience an amonia spike as long as you work quickly to get the rock out and back into the tank or atleast some saltwater, you have maybe a 5 minute window max. maybe you could fill a shallow tub with some SW to work in so nothing will be exposed to air for very long at all.

drock59
04/29/2004, 01:06 AM
u should be able to pick off most of the critters and if you are careful *** you hammer, most will be ok. I dont think shaking the rock in the tank will do much. Also, you may see a spike in amonia but it depends on a lot of stuff. IS the rock cured? Is the tank established??

Reefmedic79
04/29/2004, 01:22 AM
Wrapped the rok up in an old towel before you hit it. This will not only protect you from flying pieces as well as ensure you keep the rubble as well.

Azilla
04/29/2004, 02:13 AM
I broke up a couple rocks with a hammer and i had to beat it many times to smash it. but yes wrap with a towel to save rocks chunks

loyalty
04/29/2004, 03:20 AM
thanks for all the replies, the rock is cured, but i have no livestock except a snail and a few hermits. There's two chunks of rock I need to bust up..they looked good at the LFS, but they're just too big for my lil 30 gal