PDA

View Full Version : sump questions

crazyfingersmike
04/26/2004, 07:47 PM
Ok, I'm trying to take my time and do things right the first time around.

I've decided to go with the following setup, and all my questions in this thread will pertain to the sump.

65 Gal RR tank (36 X 18 X 24)
Sump
In-sump skimmer
two 100 watt heaters
Powerhead (in opposite corner from sump return)
Return pump

I want the sump for the benefits of extra water volume, and a place to hide the equipment. I would like to set it up such that I have the option to add a refugium later (or sooner).

I am not willing to DIY, as I have no experience working with glass or acrylic, and I don't want to get discouraged from the main hobby (maintaining fish, not equipment). So I'm hoping to find a pre-made solution. I've been shopping around, but I haven't found anything that I think I can use. Are there simple, inexpensive (that doesn't mean "cheap") sumps out there that I could buy?

Features I'm looking for are:
- baffles to reduce bubbles
- space for skimmer and return pump
- space for refugium
- small enough to fit under a 36 x 18 stand while allowing for other storage (basically half of the available space)

So how do I proceed? :-)

Thanks in advance...

Kayo
04/26/2004, 08:18 PM
If it weren't for the size, I would recommend this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20758&item=2397229395&rd=1

I have a 60 gallon and am using this one. I use a foam block to reduce air before the water goes to the final chamber and is pumped back into the tank.

You may want to check Ebay from time to time, you may find something smaller.

xeon
04/26/2004, 08:20 PM
Honestly, there are folks on the board that do work with acrylic and build nice sumps. You might try coming up with a design for what you want and then posting in the "Want to Buy" forum.

clown2be
04/26/2004, 08:21 PM
? why not a 36x24x24 that would be 90 gal. the 24 width is much better for stacking rock and sand bed. I have an 18" width and I wish it was 24". go with sump/refugium. I have just a Refugium and the LR +sponges act as baffles to reduce bubbles,skimmer sits on small stand above sand level. overflow from skimmer is what i use for drip over carbon, works great.

clown2be
04/26/2004, 08:29 PM
forgot to mention, my refugium is only a 30gal glass tank I bought at petsmart.

crazyfingersmike
04/26/2004, 08:31 PM
Kayo, thanks for the ebay tip! I hadn't even thought of ebay for supplies. That sump looks good, I'll try to find something that fits.

xeon, also a great suggestion. I'll put some thought and effort into a design and see what comes out of it.

ericsypherd, the stand I will be putting the sump into will not accommodate anything that large. I'll have approx 36 x 18 to work with, and I'd like to be able to get some other supplies/equipment under there also.

staticfishmonger
04/26/2004, 08:46 PM
i use a 30g rubbermaod for my sump and 20g for the refugium, total cost under $20. works great for me.

crazyfingersmike
04/27/2004, 09:11 AM
bump for a new day :-)

crazyfingersmike
04/27/2004, 11:30 AM
Any other suggestions for a nice, simple sump for a beginner? My tank will be drilled, if that helps...