PDA

View Full Version : availability of Calcium Chloride in valley?

rocknut
04/26/2004, 06:56 PM
Have read in several different places about making your own 2 part calcium/alk additive using calcium chloride as the primary ingredient for the calcium addition. I have read several places that Home Depot carries this in a brand called DowFlake, but I can't find anyone at Home Depot that has a clue what it is. Since I am not sure what it is actually used for, I don't even know where to look. Any one know what this is used for, or where to get it? Thanks Rocky

BLUESMAN
04/26/2004, 07:10 PM
Dowflake is primarly used for melting snow from roads/driveways....so probably not much luck trying to find it here in 100 degree weather! Perhaps Flagstaff?? Prop might be getting an "turbo calcium" imatation additve soon. It will be very reasonably priced.
Blue

rocknut
04/27/2004, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I figured that it would be something like that...Oh well, I'll keep an eye out for the turbo calcium. Thanks for the info! Rocky

mx_tang
04/27/2004, 12:53 PM
Hi Rocky,

You can only get Turbo Calcium from Kent or any of their distribution channels, unfortunately. However, PROP will begin to carry a 97% purity anhydrous calcium chloride in the near future.

SeaShel
04/27/2004, 01:02 PM
Rocky,

Be sure that when you eventually choose a calcium chloride that you get the purest version you can. This chemical is notorius for having impurities. Also, if you get an anhydrous form it can turn into a rock quite easily and will take much effort to break up for use.

Good luck.
Michele

BLUESMAN
04/27/2004, 04:28 PM
You can order the "super calcium" @ www.azreef.com. John also has other dry goods and some nice corals. He's located in Yuma....so a Sunday drive with the family is always a option too!
Blue

mx_tang
04/27/2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by SeaShel
Rocky,

Be sure that when you eventually choose a calcium chloride that you get the purest version you can. This chemical is notorius for having impurities. Also, if you get an anhydrous form it can turn into a rock quite easily and will take much effort to break up for use.

Good luck.
Michele

Good point Michele. However, the anhydrous and dihydride version can cake up if it's not stored in a cool dry place. That's why you should use a tighly sealed lid to store the calcium chloride, and also prevent any spills or moisture from entering the jar.

As far as purity is concerned, I completely agree with getting the highest purity that you can buy. Unfortunately, there becomes a diminishing returns where a Food Grade, UPS, or ACS reagent grade CaCl2 will cost you a lot of money for a marginally higher purity. Randy Holmes Farley did a test on the DOW 80% purity flake, and an ultra purity flake, where both of them were considered suitable for aquarium use.

For this reason, I believe the 97% CaCl2 is a good alternative, since a higher reagent grade would cost over $10/lb. Let's not forget to have common denominators as well; if you're using a high quality calcium chloride but low quality salt mix or water, then you're really not coming out ahead in the longrun. If you want to know exactly what's going into your reef tank, and are conscientious about the chemicals and reef chemistry, then definitely get the highest purity that you can afford.

BLUESMAN
05/02/2004, 06:11 PM
Look for Calcium Chloride at the next auction. PROP will be offering it for a pre set price. Let's just say that it will be cheaper than any major brand label!
Blue