PDA

View Full Version : 30gal cube?

JGoslee
04/26/2004, 08:56 AM
Im going to be setting up a oceanic 30gal cube but I have a few questions first.I have had 2 nanoreefs in the past but had to get rid of them due to a move.I didnt use a skimmer on either of them.All I used was a hob filter and a refugium.Can I do that with this size tank or do I need a skimmer?I was thinking of getting a tetratec300 or a ehiem cannister.What are everyones opinions on these?The fuge is going to be a 10gal gravity fed placed slightly higher than the main tank.I was planning on using the cannister filter to take water from the main tank and return it to the fuge.Is this a good idea or should I place the refugium under the tank?Thanks

Electrobes
04/26/2004, 10:10 AM
well I like the tank and fuge udea just fine. If you have a fuge and powerheads in your main display.. you don't need another filter IMO, except maybe a prefilter just to get any chunky stuff out. I am running my tank skimmerless, after much research I do not find them bearly as beneficial as doing water changes. The tetra tecs are very noisy I would not suggest them. The cannister may actually not be a bad idea if you are using it for the main pump.. and it would solve your filtering of hard materials as well... but see how much it actually pumps.. gallons per hour that is. Because you have a refugium you won't want anything too high at all, and the powerheads in your tank will make up for the rest of the water flow in your display. Its your preference as to what you want the refugium. In my opinion if you can gravity feed you tank via the refugium, mor epower to you. The copepods and other critters can more gracefully get into your tank alove as opposed to getting walloped through the motor that pumps the water... so if you can, now that I think of it, gravity feeding the display from your refugium would be best way to go. Please ask any more questions if you've got them.. thuis far you are on a great path.

JGoslee
04/26/2004, 11:51 AM
I was thinking of using a ehiem 2026 canister fiter.It pumps 250gph.Is this to much?
This tank is going to be setup as a reef tank so Im going to get either a 150hqi mh or a 175mh pendent.Will this be sufficiant light for a 30gal?
One fish that I really want to put in this setup is a mandarin.If I let the tank mature for 6 months or longer and have no other fish that eat pods.The refugium would be filled with lr rubble and I was planning on filling pvc fitings with rubble and covering the ends with mesh so only the pods come and go.I would place these fittings in the back of the main tank under my live rock.Would it be possible to keep a mandarin in this tank?My other option is to keep differant types of gobies and shrimp.

DLS
04/26/2004, 12:10 PM
Your tank is just too small for a mandarin. Unless you have a 50g fuge loaded with pods. :) I'd get a skimmer instead of a canister filter.

Electrobes
04/26/2004, 02:36 PM
The lighting is sufficient. I agree with DLS that your tank will be too small for a mandrin.

JGoslee
04/26/2004, 03:27 PM
Oh well Ill just have to wait on the mandarin til I upgrade.I guess my next choice for fish would be watchmen gobies.Can I house more than one watchmen in a 30gal?
DLS:Why should I get a skimmer instead of a canister?

JGoslee
04/26/2004, 07:18 PM
2 gobies that I really like are yellow watchmen and filament finned prawn goby.Are these 2 compatable?