PDA

View Full Version : Acclimating fish to the tank.

Aquarist20
04/25/2004, 09:53 PM
Kind of a dumb question but when acclimating new fish is it better to do it in the dark rather than having the lights on? What are everyones thoughts on this? Thanks

iCam
04/25/2004, 10:00 PM
Hey. To be truthful, I'm not quite sure. But, I would think that turning the lights off would help it a little with stress.

BraenDead
04/25/2004, 10:01 PM
If the fish is coming from a LFS with similar lighting, I dont think it would matter much. But if coming from low lighting or if shipped from online, definately give them time to adjust to the lighting.

Bob

vapovick
04/25/2004, 10:05 PM
Bright lighting could shock them a little, fish from LFS will have been in light so I would think that they would not be affected as much as say a shipped fish that was in a box in the dark. if it was shipped I would open the box and allow the ambiet light to enter, and the fish to have a little time before placing them to 'float' in the tank.

I think the main reason we see to turn off the lights is to give a new comer to the tank time to find a spot to hide and adjust, other wise you toss him in there, were the other fish can easliy find him and give him some trouble...
./hth

Aquarist20
04/25/2004, 10:06 PM
Yeah I was thinking low lights would be better. I know at Segrest Farms here in FL has like a "dark room" and another distributor here has a "dark room" also. They have those red bulbs in the room so you can see. Kinda interesting.