PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for wild caught clowns

danieljames
04/25/2004, 08:57 PM
I'm thinking about going the wild caught route to increase my chances of hosting. Anyone have any links or suggestions?

Dwayne
04/25/2004, 10:37 PM
What type of clowns or anemone are you planning on keeping?

Dwayne

Elmo18
04/25/2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by danieljames
I'm thinking about going the wild caught route to increase my chances of hosting. Anyone have any links or suggestions?

I would suggest reading and bookmarking the Clownfish and Anemone FAQ sticky thread at the top of this forum, or here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=282136 (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=282136)

- Elmo :)

danieljames
04/25/2004, 11:06 PM
thanks elmo...i've read through it all and got some good info...but i'm wanting to see what is available as far as livestock...i'm gonna have about 200watts of pc lighting over a 30 long..should be fine for a bta i'm thinking....heavily skimmed with an asm g2 as well.

dwayne...i'm thinking about a bta. Seems to be a good size for my 30 long. I've kept tanks for years, but never clowns or any other anemone except for flowers. I would like a percula..i haven't decided for sure yet. I was just wanting to surf a bit and see what there was to offer.

oama
04/25/2004, 11:58 PM
danieljames

Am I understanding that you desire WC b/c of increased chance that they may host in an anemone?

You would be wasting your time & money.

IMO all clownfish, wether WC or CB will decide for themselves if and when they ever host in an anemone. The idea that CB clowns will not host is a Total Myth!

You would be better off trying to decide what anemone will host with the species of clownfish you settle on. Regardless of them being CB or WC.

Elmo18
04/26/2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by oama
danieljames

Am I understanding that you desire WC b/c of increased chance that they may host in an anemone?

IMO all clownfish, wether WC or CB will decide for themselves if and when they ever host in an anemone. The idea that CB clowns will not host is a Total Myth!

You would be better off trying to decide what anemone will host with the species of clownfish you settle on. Regardless of them being CB or WC.

Well put by Oama. So waht's up bradah!??!

Mahalo,
Elmo

danieljames
04/26/2004, 12:55 AM
Really? Many posts i've read have leaned toward the idea that a captive raised clown is less likely (in general) to host than a wild caught. Not that they don't, but that the odds would be better with a wild one in general. Thats good info..i appreciate it. So you think that a tank raised percula would have just as good a chance of hosting as a wild one? I've pretty much decided on a percula...suggestions on a host?

Rod Buehler
04/26/2004, 06:36 AM
danieljames

I agree completely.. I have a pair of WC clowns that do not nest in an anemone, but my TR baby onyx dive right into anemones within minutes/seconds of first site of an anemone.

Rod Buehler
04/26/2004, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by danieljames
Really? Many posts i've read have leaned toward the idea that a captive raised clown is less likely (in general) to host than a wild caught. Not that they don't, but that the odds would be better with a wild one in general. Thats good info..i appreciate it. So you think that a tank raised percula would have just as good a chance of hosting as a wild one? I've pretty much decided on a percula...suggestions on a host?

Percs natural hosts are :S.gigantae, H.magnifica, and H. crispa. I have seen many percs host in BTAs but not a natural choice for them

HVF21221
04/26/2004, 07:45 AM
I just sold a LFS 25 Clarkii I raised and they have never seen an anenome. When I left they were acclimating. I went back this weekend and they went into a tank full of anenomes. They were all hosting in the anenomes. It was pretty cool to see, like they have been hosting for years!

oama
04/26/2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by Elmo18
So waht's up bradah!??!

Howzit Brah!

They got sum ono manapua up dat awayz?

I'm joanzin' for some good char siu.

Aloha,
Oama

Elmo18
04/26/2004, 08:01 PM
Howzit Brah!

They got sum ono manapua up dat awayz?

I'm joanzin' for some good char siu.

Aloha,
Oama

no Ono Manapua around here :( but they just opened up an L&L Drive In in north Seattle. I was like, waaaaaaah?!?! no way?!?!

Oh man, i'm craving lomi lomi salmon right now. Kalua pig would help, too.

Do you know if Oceanic Institute is still working or has been working on raising Flame Angels?

That is one nice anemone Marina. Do you know if it will stay the whitish cream color?

- Elmo

JHardman
04/26/2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by HVF21221
I just sold a LFS 25 Clarkii I raised and they have never seen an anenome. When I left they were acclimating. I went back this weekend and they went into a tank full of anenomes. They were all hosting in the anenomes. It was pretty cool to see, like they have been hosting for years!

Sounds just like A. ocellaris.

oama
04/26/2004, 08:25 PM
Ah L&L, Sweet!

I was back on Oahu in early March for the Marine Ornamentals Conf.

Braddah, you know I hit up dat place across the street from the conf center (wow, it got used for something!:D ). Ono plate lunch specials! Two scoop rice! Lomi Lomi Salmon Kalua Pig Short Ribs. Great Grinds!

Never did find one place with Taco Poke :rolleyes:

Anywho... I talked story with them guys from OI. They are concentrating on breeding the lau-i-pala.

NicoleC
04/26/2004, 08:45 PM
Don't count on TR's not hosting. Mine have been little hosting sluts ready to go into any handy Euphylia, especially the male. The female has never been very enthusiastic about any of the host.

I've had a GBTA in the tank for about a month and an RBTA for about 2 weeks. Today, I came home and couldn't find mama -- she was around behind the rocks wriggling the in the GBTA with joy. I've been a bit worried about the GBTA -- it isn't eating much and not getting as much light as I'd hope. The anemone looked happier than ever, but it came from a tank with maroons. Let no one tell you fish don't smile! She went and fetched the male and...

http://home.socal.rr.com/reef/images/home.jpg

The male keeps returning to the largest frogspawn, though. They've never been like some clowns on a leash near their host -- they swim all over the tank -- so I don't think the pair bond will break. But this means I DO need to figure out some way to get the GBTA up front where I can see them!