PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding clam growth?

COreefer
04/25/2004, 06:07 PM
What's the biggest that anyone has been able to grow a clam so far from approximately a 2" size? What feeding regiment did you use and how long has it been growing? I have about 3 or 4 "baby" clams in my tank and want to optimize their growth. How and how often should I feed them? I have heard that DT's is the best but I am open to other suggestions as well. I am also trying to set the proper expectation for myslf in terms of how long it will be before they do not need irect supplemental feeding anymore, and their growth rate. Can anyone educate me on this?

reef-man_d-man
04/26/2004, 04:56 PM
I have seen one grow (in really good conditions) from 2 inches to 3.5" in 6 months, I feed (and some people I know) DT's and Golden Pearl's some people also use Cyclop EZE and Marine Snow.

Julio
04/26/2004, 09:38 PM
I use marine snow, cyclops DT's and phytoplex, i feed the tank heavily twice a week also with decasulated brine shrimp eggs.
I have grown 2 inch maximas to 6 inches in a little over a year.

COreefer
04/27/2004, 05:09 PM
WOW!!! What portions do you feed and how often? What type of lighting do you have? I can tell my clams are growing but I want to optimize their growth. Give me any suggestions you have.

Julio
04/27/2004, 06:11 PM
well keep in mind that i change 15 gallon sof water on a weekly basis. I have an sps dominated tank, i feed large portions when i feed because i want to ensure that all the animasl get plenty of food, with the decasulated brine shrimp eggs and the cyclops i flood the whole tank and it clears up in about 30-45 minutes. The best lighting for optimal growth is 65K and just go heavy on the calcium. Since i do feed heavily i also use kalwasser to evaporate the phosphates.

COreefer
04/28/2004, 01:30 AM
Yeah, I'm changing out about 10% or a little more weekly, I too have an SPS and clam dominated tank, with about 9 fish, the biggest being a hippo tang and a Lamarack Angel. I feed the cyclopeze but I here it isn't good for clams, but the acro's seem to love it. My lighting is listed below, but I also drip Kalk for similar affect and to raise PH becaue of the reactor, which has been going since December. Since this time last year I have slowly added about 9 clams to my tank. A couple of squamosa's a few baby maxima's a large max and a large crocea. The Ca is 400+ and the alk is 10.5-11.5 dkh, stabalizing closer to 11. I have been noticing the new white growth aroung the clams, but was uncertain what to expect. I have been also feeding Dt's with the pumps off about 3 times a week allowing it to settle without water flow for 15 min at a time. I just want to be able to optimize their growth because eventually a few will be moved into a clam species tank.