PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Tankless
09/06/2001, 01:44 PM
Hey everone I just bought a 75 gallon tank, a twenty gallon long
for a sump, a dual 175 watt pfo MH ballast with socket and cord assemblies and 2 24" pfo MH reflectors. I want to creat 2 bomies
centered directly under the MH 's and keep sps and clams up high
lps and softies on the lower half. I will be getting a skimmer from my reef creations and I already have a chiller. Now for my questions. What metal halide bulbs should I use? Vho or pc? I think i'm going to use 10k's the sunbursts are to blue for my taste. What would you do for circulation? I just want enough flow through my sump to feed the skimmer.I was thinking a dedicated
circulation pump on 2 sea swirls and the sump return down low.
I would like to do away with the need for power heads. What pumps would you use for this? I would appreciate your thoughts or any links or pictures of similar setups .Sorry for the length of this post .
Thanks in advance.
:)

DJREEF
09/06/2001, 02:57 PM
I think you got a pretty good foundation with what you got. The bulb thing is all about what you like the best in the way of color. What pleases your eye. 10000K will work fine, as will 6500K. I would recommend a couple of VHO actinics for affect, though. The blue really sharpens things up. As far as return pumps go, the sky is the limit. Just be careful not to get too much pump. I use a Magdrive 1200 on my 120gal for a return, and if I didn't have a separate 45gallon refugium bleeding some of the water off, that damn thing would pump water over my middle brace. I would think that a 950 would be more than enough for what you need. The sea swirls are sweet, wish I could afford them. As far as quality in pumps goes, I think you'll be OK as long as you steer clear of RIOs. I think I would use one powerhead, like the big Maxiflo at the back of the tank, to move water from east to west IYKWIM, beneath the seaswirl returns. That way you get somwhat of a riptide effect in the system. Hope this helps.

DJ

dnjan
09/06/2001, 03:09 PM
With the sump return down low, you will be trusting that whatever antisiphon technology you decide to use will not fail. Think about that carefully before you commit to it.