PDA

View Full Version : live rock sent in water vs other, opinions please

dbrown
04/20/2004, 08:21 PM
Ok, I've looked at vendor experiences for both and both seem like great businesses to buy from. Basically I'm wondering if it is worth spending the extra $200-$250 for the TBS package to stock a 58 gallon with rock that were never out of water.

If anyone has gotten rock from both places, similar places, or is just wanting to share you opinion I'd greatly appreciate it.

dbrown
04/20/2004, 09:51 PM
anyone? :(

edit: oops edited out the names, i was talking about reefermadness and TBS

harper
04/20/2004, 10:00 PM
I use dry dead base rock to build the bulk of the aquascape…..along with PVC and other plastics. Then go to a LFS and pick a few rocks with good structure and the critters I am looking for. If your planning to run a tank for several years, there wont be much difference between the base and live rock after a year. With a lot of LR it is difficult to control hitchhikers…..good luck

Tek
04/21/2004, 01:55 AM
The TBS package is supposed to speed up cycling time and comes with a lot of alive good things still on the rock. I would just use base rock with select LR pieces as suggested.

Liquid Cool
04/21/2004, 02:51 AM
Looks to me like TBS prices are about a rip off. Who would want to pay for unfriendly hitchhikers that you have to get rid of anyway? Good luck on that choice. Then again...the stuff from Dr. Mac's isn't that hot either. Seems to me he's real irregular on his quality from what I've seen. Ask him about his suppliers at LAX, that 's probably the problem between fresh and the junk he's been sending out lately.

LC

Cearbhaill
04/21/2004, 04:44 AM
Looks to me like TBS prices are about a rip off. Who would want to pay for unfriendly hitchhikers that you have to get rid of anyway? Good luck on that choice.
So you spend 20 minutes getting rid of them.
For that one negative you get excessive positives-
the first being price. The TBS package price gives you superior live rock at very low prices. Price "decorator rock" (IF you can find it) at a LFS. No comparison- and that is not even taking into account the inverts included.
Second- reduced cycling time. Rock that is transported from the ocean to the inside of your tank in under 24 hours *and* without being out of water has next to no cycling time. I never even saw the first ammonia reading with my TBS package it was so fresh.
Third- diversity. Your sand and your rock are populated with untold organisms that we can never even list much less buy online- untold thousands of pods, bacteria, and who knows what else. It is alive.
Fourth- it is aquacultured. No one had to chip off a piece of a living reef just to put in a glass box for me to look at. I like that.

There are more positives- anyone considering buying rock from TBS will of course search out the many glowing recommendations. It is a difficult decision, and unfortunately is has to be made fairly early in our reef learning curve. TBS just made it simpler IMO.

When the actual moment came for me to order my package, I did nearly choke at the bill. But then I spent a few moments pricing out what all the various components would cost if purchased separately and I realized what a fair deal the package really is.

dkh0331
04/21/2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Liquid Cool
Looks to me like TBS prices are about a rip off.

Calling the TBS package a rip-off, IMPHO, is a bit harsh. It's more about choices. Rock that goes from the ocean to your tank, shipped in water in less than 24 hours with minimal curing needed vs. uncured rock, wrapped in newspaper that has been out of the water for a couple of days and dealing with 2, 3, or 4+ weeks of curing and the stench of uncured rock.

TBS has been around for a number of years, and even tho I have never ordered $1 of product from them, I would recommend them to those who are looking for that type of rock.

David

Doppler
04/21/2004, 06:32 AM
i got my rock from here and it had tons of life,great color and very little die off
http://www.liverocks.com/
prices are good and michael answers all questions and the rock looks like the pics on the web page

FLReefster
04/21/2004, 08:07 AM
I agree that Liverocks.com has GREAT stuff. I am lucky enough to only be 3 hours away from him. I drove over, selected my rock, and drove home. The tank was cycled immediatly. In the 140 lbs I put in the tank, I did receive 5 mantis. It was a small price to pay to get fresh rock at a great price. The amount of life on the rock is unbelievable also.

Slatts
04/21/2004, 10:05 AM
You can get a smaller TBS package supplemented with base rock and southdown sand which is what I did. I bought a 29gl package for my 44gl. Saved money but once you see it in your tank you'll wish (like me) you went all the way.