PDA

View Full Version : gobies and pods

doody
04/17/2004, 03:59 PM
Do all sand sifting gobies eat pods and worms in the sand?

K9
04/17/2004, 05:30 PM
My educated guess would be yes. I'm not sure, but at least I'll bump this up so someone else might be able to help you.

crzy4reefs
04/17/2004, 06:07 PM
what kind of goby are you adding i have a diamond goby but i haven't seen a decrease in my pods but i also have a sump/refugium. HTH

mandktod
04/17/2004, 08:27 PM
I have a yellow clown goby and I have sat for hours after the lights go out and watched him catch them as the swim out of the fuge into the display, coolest thing I have ever seen, he just perches on a rock by the outlet and waits for them to come out.

doody
04/18/2004, 07:54 PM
I was hoping to get a pistol shrimp/gobie relationship thing going on, but I dont want anything that will eat all the pods or worms that are beneficial to the sand bed. I also want to get a manderin in the future and he can be the one to eat the pods.

mandktod
04/18/2004, 08:23 PM
Add a refugium you will have all the pods you need to feed them all and keep them very happy.

doody
04/19/2004, 04:13 PM
I know that a fuge would help with feeding pods to critters but doesnt the sand bed need pods in it? I just don't want them to eat the pods in the sand. They can eat anything they want that comes over from the fuge.

bertoni
04/19/2004, 04:41 PM
If the animal sifts the sand, it's eating what it finds. Otherwise, it wouldn't sift. Sigh! I have two Crypocentrus cinctus that I like, but they do a number on the sandbed.

doody
04/19/2004, 04:50 PM
So, It's better not to have gobies if I want a healthy sand bed?

bertoni
04/19/2004, 05:11 PM
Well, there are some gobies that don't sift sand, maybe, like the neon's? I'm not sure about all the various types. Of the sand-sifting types, if you want a function DSB, then skip the gobies.

TippyToeX
04/19/2004, 05:14 PM
I have had many gobies and all of them are pod munchers. :)

FWIW I have a very active DSB in the main tank that the gobies sift and tunnel around in. If you keep them (gobies) and want an active sand bed you need to replenish it often with det-kits (you can buy those online) and have a heavily producing refugium (the fuge will lessen the dent to the main sand bed).

bertoni
04/19/2004, 06:02 PM
Well, I guess it depends on one's definition of a fully functional DSB, but in one standard use of the term, the gobies will prevent it from functioning. Check Dr Shimek's forum for details.

I learned a lot using a dissecting 'scope on my sand.

TippyToeX
04/19/2004, 06:13 PM
Quite true, Dr. Ron does beleive that any goby (or any fish for that matter) that sifts through the sand bed or burrows in it will cause the bed to stop functioning. I have had sifting & burrowing gobies and a rocking DSB (in that it works for my needs), just a lot of work to keep it so.

A good link to learn more Read Me (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118418)