PDA

View Full Version : The zoos that are most susceptable to fungus are....?

dennis_said
04/15/2004, 11:29 AM
Those hot hot pink zoos right? Which region is it that they are from?

Am I missing something here? I know zoos are considered very easy to keep but I just got a hold of some nice ones and do not want to lose them to fungus =D

Frick-n-Frags
04/15/2004, 11:50 AM
So what are you going to do if they get fungus? :D

Seriously, good flow works wonders. I heard on another thread that pink zoos from Fiji are troublesome, but that may be anecdotal evidence by way of maybe those zoos were already stressed or they just didn't like the owner's water. I have 3 colors of pink and they are just as "rough and tough and hard to diaper" as any other color of zoos I have. They have fragged 100% for me too.

dennis_said
04/15/2004, 11:54 AM
I am a nutcase on flow nowdays too, I have been so concerned, especially after the impeller in my two aquaglobes broke! I am now with 3 rio 200s :)

My corals seem to be loving it =D

Frick-n-Frags
04/15/2004, 12:18 PM
Flow good!!!! :D I keep most of my zoos in my SPS tank(50gal), except the little clumps which blow away, so they have to go in a slower tank. I have a RIO2500HP(2500gph) and an Atman 306 (1900gph) side-by-side swirling that tank in a circle. If it isn't nailed down, it's gone. :D even rubble rock blows away.

fijizoos
04/15/2004, 12:25 PM
Here's a great thread to look at Link (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=351896) It's just not pinks that get the fungus. It seems to be the way that the importers are shipping them.

Frick-n-Frags
04/15/2004, 12:30 PM
NASTY!!!!!!

That makes a whole lot more sense than the difference in color.

fijizoos
04/15/2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Frick-n-Frags
NASTY!!!!!!

That makes a whole lot more sense than the difference in color.

It's a nasty allright....the importers are shipping the pieces wrapped in wet newspaper instead of water. We think it's a bacterial infection that starts the fungus. So far the peoxide wash seems to work the best but you still loose polyps but it does kill the fungus.

dennis_said
04/15/2004, 12:38 PM
"Flow good!!!! I keep most of my zoos in my SPS tank(50gal), except the little clumps which blow away, so they have to go in a slower tank. I have a RIO2500HP(2500gph) and an Atman 306 (1900gph) side-by-side swirling that tank in a circle. If it isn't nailed down, it's gone. even rubble rock blows away."

PICTURING IT and laughing out loud! haha

Hydrogen Peroxide? Is it advisable to dip during acclimation before they are introduced to the tank or only if you see the fungus issue?

fijizoos
04/15/2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by dennis_said
"Flow good!!!! I keep most of my zoos in my SPS tank(50gal), except the little clumps which blow away, so they have to go in a slower tank. I have a RIO2500HP(2500gph) and an Atman 306 (1900gph) side-by-side swirling that tank in a circle. If it isn't nailed down, it's gone. even rubble rock blows away."

PICTURING IT and laughing out loud! haha

Hydrogen Peroxide? Is it advisable to dip during acclimation before they are introduced to the tank or only if you see the fungus issue?

You must mix the peroxide with your tanks water in a cup or tupperware. 90% water 10% peroxide then do a wash for about 3 min ( I had it at 15min but I think it was way to long). A good sign of a bad piece is that it will smell bad. I always smell my pieces before I put them in the tank. If you do not see the fungus and the rock smells put in a high flow area and see how it does before you decide to dip it.

dennis_said
04/16/2004, 03:09 AM
Nice, thanks figizoos =)

I think my zoos are liking the current flow :)

I would love to add another powerhead but I don't want to throw off the balance... would more flow stimulate even faster growth?

fijizoos
04/16/2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by dennis_said
would more flow stimulate even faster growth?

The best way to make your zooz grow faster is to not look at them.:D

Good Luck Dennis :)