PDA

View Full Version : Best way to 'transport' Marine Tank

julie-annep
04/15/2004, 07:12 AM
HI,

I am looking to start my own marine tank, but was dreading the cost. I have found someone that no longer requires and am planning to buy this from him.

How do I successfully transfer the tank(on the 30 minute drive) including fish and water without killing the fish, and how long would I need to leave the tank to settle after putting the water back in, before I can add the fish?

Any advice is appreciated!

Quicksilver
04/15/2004, 07:39 AM
Put fish in a cooler with the same water from the tank. If you can get a battery powered air pump and put an airstone in it then that would be great. I put a few pieces of rubble in there for the fish to hide behind, but nothing big to fall around and squish the fish. Transport as much of the water as humanly possible and have pre-mixed saltwater waiting at home. Put liverock in the water from the tank that you are transporting. I left the substrate in a little water in the tank. When you get home put liverock and water back in tank and get the system circulating. Get the heaters on and get the temps normal in the main tank. Then start acclimating the fish. Slowly drip water from the tank into the container(once home I put them in individual containers) and when it gets to full dump half out and repeat. Get the water to the same temp and release fish. If you have corals then transport them in their own individual styrofoam coolers or bags(strong ones). I transported a 150 for three hours this way. If you are in colder temps then you might have to get some heatpacks. HTH

julie-annep
04/15/2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the reply. I am probably going to pick it up Saturday! I am very inexperienced but am researching like mad.

How long will the fish be OK out of the tank in the containers?

ahill
04/15/2004, 09:31 AM
You can get a Hagan battery powered air stone and just stick them all in a bucket with the lid closed. I just moved my entire 55 gallon reef system from Charleston to Virginia. I did not lose one single coral, fish or invertebrate. (thanks to some good advice Go Mike!) I did however lose my refugium with the DSB.

One thing you can look into to really help minimize any loss is taking all the water thats currently in the tank with you. I went down to a container company and bought a *new* 55 gallon drum to transport all my saltwater. Because i did this I was able to minimize the time my fish and corals were out of the tank once it was set up. Make sure the drum is a blue though, its some sort of new DOT rule for new containers, the pigments can leach out of the older black ones.

BTw the drum was 37 dollars and if you think about it making fresh saltwater is at least that much. ( unless you make your own RO)

Quicksilver
04/15/2004, 11:19 AM
As long as you have air, current when you are home, and can keep the temp right they will be okay for a while. I transported a 150 and it was about3 hours away. It took all day to break it down transport it and set it back up. The fish were fine. People buy fish online all the time and they ship them in bags and coolers. They live through1 and sometimes more days of shipping so you should be alright. Just remember keeping them out a shorter time will reduce the stress to the fish. Stress can cause the fish to get sick or die. Do not rush their safety, but do it as quick as possible. William

sd75i_bnsf
04/15/2004, 02:45 PM
I would be very carefull about how much sand or CC you leave in the bottom of the tank when moving. I did this once with an older tank and the bottom of it went. If the tank is kind of old I would try and remove everything for it before moving.
Just my 2 cents

Quicksilver
04/15/2004, 06:47 PM
That will prolong the length of time the fish are out though, but that is a valid point. Mine had about 4 inches of CC and made it through it alright, but that could have been luck.