PDA

View Full Version : Red Puff balls.

tanker
04/13/2004, 08:22 PM
My tank is starting to get these pink "puffs". Looks likes lots of small pink cotton-balls. What causes this?? What eats it?? I have a few hermit crabs and Margarita snails. I vaccum out some during water change but 3-4 days later got even more,

SeaView
04/14/2004, 11:48 AM
Can you get a pic?
More details Size? how many?
Could be something you don't want to remove - eggsacs, etc

griss
04/14/2004, 11:50 AM
Sounds like you have the dreaded Cotton Candy Algae. This stuff is very difficult to get rid of and can overwhelm a tank in a short time. Some people have reported success with Mexican Turbo Snails or Rabbitfish. I have a Blue Spot Rabbitfish that eats this stuff.

George

tanker
04/14/2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by SeaView
Can you get a pic?
More details Size? how many?
Could be something you don't want to remove - eggsacs, etc

Sorry, port on PC busted. Cannot download pics. But definately algae. Pink puffs of hair-like algae.

bertoni
04/15/2004, 01:14 AM
If it's the cotton-ball algae, I've exterminated it with some hand-picking, feeding reduction, and macroalgae. It's doable, although my approach took quite a while. Other approaches might be better.

tanker
04/15/2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by bertoni
If it's the cotton-ball algae, I've exterminated it with some hand-picking, feeding reduction, and macroalgae. It's doable, although my approach took quite a while. Other approaches might be better.

I only have 2 fishes in tank (37gal). A very small damsel (just got) and a lawnmower blemming. Plus some hermits and snails. I barely feed tank as is. Tank has been up for over 2 years. ALSO--PS-- If any fish that I get gets too big can always transfer to 100gal (if my purple tang allows
:mad2: )

cellexjohn
04/15/2004, 03:06 PM
Does it look like this?

Pink Aglae (http://zbend67.home.insightbb.com/images/pinkalgae.jpg)

Enjoy
John

bertoni
04/15/2004, 06:20 PM
Well, the red algae has to have some food source. If you pull it out and get some other nitrate export going, then you should be able to exterminate it over time. I did it that way.

crimson156
04/15/2004, 06:40 PM
could be sponges

tanker
04/15/2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by cellexjohn
Does it look like this?

Pink Aglae (http://zbend67.home.insightbb.com/images/pinkalgae.jpg)

Enjoy
John

Not sure. Your pic too close and large. But definately not a sponge. It looks like that but can you get small pic?? Sorry.