PDA

View Full Version : whats a good clownfish ????

liquidblueman
04/12/2004, 07:43 PM
in the process of choosing fishes and whats a tank without a pair of clownfishes ??

what are some of the more interesting clownfishes other than percula and all ?? tomato clowns are what i'm looking at ?
do they have like speical traits?? ?

Jovreefer
04/12/2004, 07:58 PM
what size tank do you have? tomato's need a slightly larger tank because of couse...they get bigger than percula's. I personally think they are a little more difficult fish. Not hard to keep, just not as simple as a percula.

You can cycle a tank with a pair of false percula's thats how hardy they are, I would not reccomend doing that with a tomato.

Many people also like the way percula's swim in that kinda dancing motion, tomato's dont do that.

liquidblueman
04/12/2004, 08:06 PM
oo

well i have a 75G tank... just waiting for RO unit to come

reason i'm asking is that i've had freshwater fishes for a while, well i stil have them.. and the reason i moved to SW is because of the fun and different personalities SW fishes have

u talkin about false perculas right ? cause i read in articles taht perculas are harder than false perculas (Ocellaris)

what other clownfish are interesting clowns ?

Scuba Dog
04/12/2004, 10:04 PM
I personaly love maroons because of there fiesty attitude...mine spit rocks at me and nip me when i envade there space lol and redecorate there area with coral frags really pulls their chain lol...there way more agressive and harder to pair up, but there difinitly not sissys lol

Jovreefer
04/12/2004, 10:54 PM
yes I'm talking about false percs. go look on the clownfish forum, they have all the types of clownfish there, see what all there is.

ozadars
04/13/2004, 05:57 AM
i have a tomato clown and she is very aggressive towards me, she also likes to split sand everywhere and sometimes moves rocks! I dont think this is fun in a reef tank though. My favourites are orange skunks, pink skunks and true perculas. Sure there are other favourites of mine but they are RARE so these are my favs from the common clowns ;)

cadman
04/13/2004, 01:03 PM
I recently bought a pair of tank bred, baby chocolate occelaris. They are about 1/2" long right now, eating cyclop-eeze. I was torn between these and maroons. The maroons get too big for the tank I have them in.

http://members.cox.net/cadman069/New%20clowns.JPG

Blazerdog
04/13/2004, 01:14 PM
I'd go with:
Maroon
Akidynos
Black Ocelarris
Chocolate Ocellaris
Orange Skunk

If you can find them.

liquidblueman
04/13/2004, 02:21 PM
hmm let me rephrase...

fun personality but not agressive fun

Blazerdog
04/13/2004, 03:19 PM
Yah got it.

Blazerdog
04/13/2004, 03:20 PM
i still would go with the Akidynos they are just so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

liquidblueman
04/13/2004, 03:43 PM
akidynos ??
never heard of them.. got picture of them
or that is their science name ?

ozadars
04/13/2004, 03:57 PM
All clownfish are territorial so can be aggressive from time to time.
If you are looking for a "fun personality but not agressive fun" clownfish than ocellaris should be what you are going to buy because they are the least aggressive and their swimming style is soo funny

liquidblueman
04/13/2004, 04:12 PM
well not not agressive...
talkin about maroon clown aggressive i mean..