PDA

View Full Version : Fresh air intake. What do you think of it?

Ricerocket
04/11/2004, 07:21 PM
I thought with my tank all closed on the top that I wasn't getting enough fresh air into the closed stand. When I opened the doors usually in the morning to add water the air seemed kind of strong smelling so I built a box with a server rack fan in the front that draws air in and sends it through the PCV pipe and aims right down into the sump. My temp is far more stable and I get a lot more evaporation. There is some kind of gas exchange on the open sump, is there not? I thought this setup would be a benefit to the system. what are your thoughts on this device? Going to try to attach pics.

Ricerocket
04/11/2004, 07:22 PM
Second Pic.

jjac
04/11/2004, 08:39 PM
Hey,
I think its a great idea. I just done the same thing today. I noticed on mine inside the cabinet it was warmer and seemed loke the humidty was higher. My doors on the front of my stand would sweel just enough so that they wouldn't shut. They shut fine now. This is a new setup and I want to get all of the bugs like this fixed before doing anything else!

pi
04/12/2004, 10:51 AM
Cool idea. I was going to do a similar thing but just for the skimmer. I was going to lengthen the airline out of the venturi to the outside.

Have you noticed any difference in your PH? I suspect it will rise a bit....

Ricerocket
04/23/2004, 01:02 PM
I thought about that myself but I was thinking that the longer the hose the harder it would be to draw air through it since it is such a tiny hose. I could be wrong though. I think that would definitley
help though.