PDA

View Full Version : lowest temp....

chwattscaw
04/09/2004, 11:38 AM
Hello,

I have a large reef tank in my basement. I am able to let the temp drop at night, and have been letting it go to 77 degrees. Is this too low? What would be the min temp you would recommend for the evening.....

Chris

aquaman67
04/09/2004, 12:52 PM
With temperature it's not so much the number as it is stability. If your tank is going from 84 - 77, that's not good. If it stays around 77, say 76 - 78, that's fine.

If your temp is going up into the 80's during the day, set your heater higher to keep it in the 80's at night too.

chewie70
04/09/2004, 01:40 PM
Probably not a good idea, I unfortunately know from experience. About 1 1/2 months ago on a very cold night might heater blew apart in my sump (having only one heater was my biggest mistake). My tank went from a nice 79 deg. to a frigid 67 deg. over night. Since that time, I have lost over 1/2 of my corals (primarily SPS and LPS) and have lost 3/4 of my fish, all to stress related disease or parasites from this incident. I actually buried my Powder Blue Tang just this morning. As if this is not enough, once all the die off began, my nutrient levels went through the roof, ORP dropped to 32, and hair algae/cyano took over my once cherrished and beautiful aquarium. Once something like this happens, there is no forum, no miracle medications, and no books that will help you out. The only thing you can do is get your water back to prestine condition, have patience, and pray. I am not even close to caving but on the same note, would not wish this on my worst enemy.

Sorry for such a long thread everyone so I'll get to my point. IMO, allowing your temp. to variate 1 or 2 deg. is no big deal. Once you start pushing the 7-10 deg. mark you are playing with fire and it can burn for months. Just don't want anyone else to go through what I am going through, and if you have, I really feel for you.

Matt