PDA

View Full Version : "help" Monster Hermit Crab

dphansen
04/08/2004, 11:19 PM
I Have a 60 gallon tank w/ 100llb of live rock. I just bought a huge red Hermit Crab. The shell is almost the size of a softball and the body a small hand. Any how it can not move around the tank because of the size of the shell. It gets pined against the glass and live rock. There is not a lot of sand bed for it to crawl around on. The store informed me it would rather climb on the rock than the sand bed.
Can this crab live w/o a shell or will it be stressed and die. I think with the amount of live rock there is plenty of nooks and cranys for it to slide and back into. It would do fine if it did not have such a big shell. However I don't think it could live in any smaller shell.
I guess if it can not live w/o shell, I'll take back to the store.

wwanthony
04/08/2004, 11:22 PM
You don't have a place to house the creature. Take it back to the store.

crzy4reefs
04/08/2004, 11:27 PM
yeah i would just take him back to your LFS

speccialj922
04/08/2004, 11:32 PM
i would take him back. ive heard horror stories about big hermits grabbing at fish and damaging corals and what not because they are big and clumsy.

staticfishmonger
04/08/2004, 11:44 PM
sounds really cool i dont think i have seen one that size before. if you could, please post a pic. i also agree you should take him back if he cant even move around.

Snooker
04/08/2004, 11:51 PM
would be cool if you could keep him healthy in a specimen tank

only if you could supply the right kinds of shells, etc

gumbybc
04/08/2004, 11:51 PM
You all don't even want to know what they can do to a finger when hungry....not a pretty sight.