PDA

View Full Version : How Long Will It Take For First Signs Of New Cycle?

Ace
08/31/2001, 01:19 PM
Hi,
Since I just moved my old tank into a 90, I want to start testing for any signs of a cycle. I used all the sand and LR from the previous tank that was running for about two years.

The LR sat about a week in a container with a powerhead running. When I put the LR back in the tank it looked really good and did not have an offensive smell.

When should I start testing?

Thanks!

Ace

budhaboy
08/31/2001, 01:39 PM
test now- I dont very seriously that you will have any cycle at all- if the rock was still submerged the whole time all the bacteria and everything else should already be good to go- the only drawback I see is if you didnt use any of the original water but that wouldnt be all that drastic- did you get more rock besides what you already had?if you did then you will have a small cycle but it wont be terribly drastic.test now regardless- I dont think you'll be in bad straits either way...

Mako
08/31/2001, 01:41 PM
I would think you could start looking for ammonia buildup within 72 hours. From the sound of your move procedures I would expect little in the way of a cycle though. Should happen fairly quick and be small IMO.

HTH

Ace
08/31/2001, 01:46 PM
Hi,

I forgot to add that I used about 30g. of the original water.

No new rock was added.

Thanks!

Ace

fishwife,too
08/31/2001, 03:09 PM
Hi Ace - You probably won't have a cycle. I think we had a .25 for one day. We did wait for a couple of weeks before moving everything in just to be on the safe side, though.

Good luck and have fun. BTW, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Laurie

Ace
08/31/2001, 04:32 PM
Thanks!

I really dreaded this move into a new tank, but after all, it was not as bad as I thought.

Now the fun really begins!

Ace