PDA

View Full Version : SPS RTN!!!! What do I do with it?

The R/C Man
04/07/2004, 10:41 PM
Hi everyone!

I have a small colony of florescent yellow acropora that is turning white. It started with a small spot 2 days and now the whole coral is almost white. I pulled it out of the main tank and put it in the fuge. Could this spread to other corals? Could it come back or is it doomed? Should I take it out of the tank? Help....

Carrera07
04/07/2004, 10:47 PM
When I got RTN on one of my SPS colonies, I fragged off the uneffected parts. Everything that I didn't frag didn't make it, and about half of my frags didn't make it. The rest are growing faster than any of my other SPS now...

The R/C Man
04/07/2004, 10:53 PM
I could maybe frag about 1/2" from one stalk. That spread to quickly.... I might have to just chalk it up....

Casie
04/08/2004, 12:41 AM
Hiya R/C Man

Don't you HATE losing a peice to a sudden unexplained RTN?

I have had 2 colonies RTN on me for no apparent reason.. while neighboring sps look great. Like AI3 was saying, the best course of action is to frag.

I wish we had more detailed information on RTN. All I know is in severe cases it almost appears as if the perfectly healthy cells near the bared skeleton spontaneously suicide until the entire colony is gone.

But if you frag the healthy parts from the effected parts the frag is protected.

It sounds ridiculous, but in the 2 cases I've had, fragging away the healthy parts imediately stopped the domino effect. And the new frags behaved as any regular healthy frag, encrusting to thier new bases and growing normally.

Good Luck!

Frick-n-Frags
04/08/2004, 07:51 AM
Yup, fragging is always worth a try.