PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Lighting Question

david8956
04/07/2004, 10:04 AM
Crazy idea I had, just thought I would see if anyone else has tried this before.

Have a 72 gal bowfront with 4X110 VHO (2 URI Actinic White & 2 URI Super Actinic on an Icecap 660). Unable to put more tubes in the canopy because of the "bow". Don't want to add MH at the front because of 1) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$, and 2) temp - I am in central Fl and my tank runs 80 now. Also already running 2 Icecap 4" fans in the canopy. Evaporation already at 1 gal per day.

Home depot and Lowes both have small HALOGEN fixtures (150 w each) including the double ended bulbs for $20. I realize these are the wrong color spectrum, but could they be ADDED TO the existing VHO and do any good ? I'm sure they would produce the ripple effect MH does (and the heat ! But if it's too much I'm out $20, not $600 !), but any benefit to the corals ? Will the wrong color spectrum actually cause them any damage ?

Would love to hear from someone that has tried this before.

perpetual98
04/07/2004, 10:16 AM
I don't know this for sure, but I think the color spectrum that halogens put out is the ideal spectrum for bad algae. You can probably put a MH in there for around $125-$150 if you can DIY. Without knowing the setup of your canopy, maybe you could put a powerquad or some shorter PC's in the 'bow'

Entropy
04/07/2004, 10:17 AM
The wrong spectrum should not effect the corals IMO, but you probably will make any algae in the tank really happy which is probably not your goal :D I think you will get the ripple effect because it is a point source light but that is about it. I wonder if they sell cheap DE bulbs in the 5k-6.5k color like they do with flourescents. May be worth a look.

perpetual98
04/07/2004, 10:24 AM
Go over to nano-reef.com and see some of the crazy small spaces that they've managed to get halides into. The DIY section is brimming with them.