PDA

View Full Version : Substrate options

VastVoodoo
04/06/2004, 10:49 AM
Alright, no home depot around here has Southdown sand, so are there any other options that are relatively cheap out there? Any other types of sand I can get from a hardware store, or am I going to be stuck paying 20 bucks a bag for CC at my LFS? (My first post and I already got 2 acronyms in there :D ) Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

SeanT
04/06/2004, 10:53 AM
Hi,
Personally, I would advise against Crushed Coral.
Too much of a detrius trap and pain in the neck to clean.
Vacuuming gets old.
You can always use silica based sand (Sterilized) or ask your Home Depot to order some.

drock59
04/06/2004, 10:54 AM
or just go barebottom like me!!! :) That is a cheap alternative for you.

VastVoodoo
04/06/2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by drock59
or just go barebottom like me!!! :) That is a cheap alternative for you.

A nekkid tank?!? :eek2: Have you no shame? :p

drock59
04/06/2004, 11:03 AM
none what so ever.....but i do have a budget!!!lol

VastVoodoo
04/06/2004, 11:03 AM
What about some sand called, "Decorative Landscape Premium Play Sand"? It's by a company called T-C Landscaping, but there's really no info on the bag as to what type it is. It's the only sand my Home Depot seems to carry.

Plus I already picked up a couple bags, it was cheap.... Haven't used 'em yet of course.

drock59
04/06/2004, 11:04 AM
hard to say for me. I wouldnt use something like that unless others had tried it and succeeded first. Not to mention that u said it doesnt have any info on the bag as to what it is comprised of.

drock59
04/06/2004, 11:06 AM
also, i would do a search on bare bottom tanks. IMO it doesnt look quite as natural but the results, IMO/ IME, are much better. You willl not get sand storms from fish blowin stuff all around and you can get much higher flow. higher flow is always a good thing for me. If you do decide to go BB, i would suggest setting up a good fuge to get rid of your phosphate, nitrates, etc etc.

VastVoodoo
04/06/2004, 11:39 AM
It's only a 20 gal tank though, and the long term plan was to go with mostly inverts (not corals or anemones) so sand flying around wouldn't be that big of an issue.

drock59
04/06/2004, 12:01 PM
ok, just thought. :) I know that i thought sand would be sooo cool. Turned out to be a big headache for me.