PDA

View Full Version : Going on Vacation??

phoenix001
04/04/2004, 06:16 PM
This will be the first time on vacation since my tank has been up and running. My dad has agreed to watch the house and maintain the tank. I would like to make things as easy as possible for him and am looking for any suggestions on how to do this. For example, each night I feed the fish and inverts a combination of formula 2 and frozen mysis soaked in garlic guard. I use a turkey baster to shoot the mix a little at a time in the tank. I feed my 2 cleaner shrimp pieces of krill every other day or so and my LTA and Condy, silverslides and krill. Anyway, I was wondering if I could make up a bunch of this and freeze it in an ice cube tray so all he has to do is thaw it out. Is this possible?

The only other maintenance that I do is clean the skimmer collection cup, algae on the glass and top off evaporation. Easy enough but I am concerned about leaving the tank. My dad is competent but knows very little about reef aquariums. Anyway, any suggestions are appreciated.

Legal Reefer
04/04/2004, 06:36 PM
about network has a good article about this. Otherwise I have seen threads detailing making labels for each piece of equipment, lists, taking precautions, setting out food in cups, and measuring out water, etc. Since I don't remember where these are--i'm sure a good search on your part will turn these up.

phoenix001
04/04/2004, 06:46 PM
What is "about network"?

Legal Reefer
04/04/2004, 06:50 PM
http://saltaquarium.about.com/

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/vacationtips/a/aa070999.htm

also look for info at

wetwebmedia.com

oncampus1
04/04/2004, 11:46 PM
Sounds like you'd freak about how I leave my tank! I have everything as automated as possible in terms of lights, top-off, etc. Before I leave, I give the tank an extra feeding or two of frozen food, I hang a larger than normal amount of dried algae in the tank, and I set an automatic feeder to drop some flake and pellet food once a day.

How long will you be gone? I'd probably do more than mentioned above if I was going to be gone longer than a week.

phoenix001
04/06/2004, 09:33 PM
I will be gone 7 days.

Tadashi
04/06/2004, 09:54 PM
I usually make things as automated as possible. ie timers on lights, fans, and pumps. Along with auto-top off systems, chiller, and heaters. The only thing my tank needs is feeding every couple days and collection cup dumped once a week. For visitors I try to keep it to dry foods for simplicity.

Devil Man
04/06/2004, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tadashi
"Honey, put the bleach down and step away from the tank. I promise we will spend more quality time together."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: