PDA

View Full Version : Stand building question...

bulkhead
04/03/2004, 02:43 PM
I'm in the process of building a stand for my 100g tank. 2x4 frame skinned with 3/4" oak plywood with oak trim, 3/4" plywood for the top. I see allot of people using a dense foam between the plywood top and their acrylic tanks, is this necessary for a glass tank? I guess I can see some benefit, but if possible, I'd rather not use it. But I would like to sleep at night.....
:)

TroyPierce
04/03/2004, 03:28 PM
Glass tanks are supported by the rim so it doesn't need the foam. Some people use a thin sheet of foam to insure consistant contact with no pressure points.

IMO, if you use a 3/4 sheet of plywood for the top, you shouldn't need any foam.

vapovick
04/03/2004, 03:32 PM
just make sure all corners of the tanks bottom are level with the stand, even an 1/8" gap could cause issues in the long run, wieght of the tank, rock, inhabs and suck, plus a canopy can cause the un-even-ness to crack or stress the glass..

.02 HTH

bulkhead
04/03/2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking....better safe than sorry...

Zigzag Man
04/03/2004, 04:29 PM
The first stand I built about a year ago was off by a little bit in the levelness department, so I used some shims that only cost a few cents... pennies. :D

Under my current tank (a 120g acrylic) instead of foam I used speaker box carpeting, like the kind you can get at Home Depot... (which is a little thicker than standard zolitone carpet) worked like a charm.