PDA

View Full Version : FIJI Zoos any more difficult to care for than "NORMAL" zoos?

dennis_said
04/01/2004, 11:04 AM
Based on their location would it make them more difficult or more susceptable to certain diseases when kept in captivity?

I am eyeing some bright orange fiji zoos... just wanna know what I'm up against.

Thanks

Frick-n-Frags
04/01/2004, 11:13 AM
I really can't see any difference between them and Tonga zoos or any of the other Pacific island locations where they come from.

Why, what is different about Fiji??? Is there something we need to know?

maybe you would have trouble with temperate water zoos in your tropical reef tank.

dennis_said
04/01/2004, 11:23 AM
Hehe, I'm just curious because once I got those hot pink zoos and had a fungus infestation

holeinone1972
04/01/2004, 11:27 AM
Orange and yellow Fiji's should be just fine.

The pinks are notorious with the fungus.

Rob

MiddletonMark
04/01/2004, 11:44 AM
Yep, I'd only get the pinks if they're stable and doing well for a while [not just very recently imported].

Or so my experience with mine was [imported colony was brought in, fragged to a couple pieces, then stabilized for a few months by the place I bought mine].

dennis_said
04/01/2004, 01:16 PM
ARe the growth speed the same on fiji zoos as the others?

holeinone1972
04/01/2004, 02:06 PM
I do not think there is a standard growth speed on all zoos.

Fiji's seem to grow very well for me.

rob

Frick-n-Frags
04/02/2004, 08:59 AM
So pink zoos are more susceptible to fungus. That's good to know. Do y'all know af any others that are also touchy that way?

I have 2 different pink zoos, but they were gotten as frags, so it sounds like someone else went through the tough part before I got them. They have been similar to any other zoos I have regarding growth rates and fragging survival rates (100%)

I had a rock of generic brown/orange ones go down the tubes once. It was fresh from the ocean too. That one left me wondering because I had other zoos that were fine. On the other hand, I got a rock of light blue ones that has grown quickly right from the get-go and I have them all over the place now.

I find that the Protopalythoas (buttons) grow slower for me than the zooanthus ones, which is OK because the zooanthus ones are the prettier ones.

dennis_said
04/02/2004, 10:42 AM
Sometimes the button ones are pretty too! Hehe, I have a nice neon green one that I'm trying to get better right now... it had an issue with some form of algae =T