PDA

View Full Version : Seahorse question

Figstr
03/30/2004, 10:49 PM
I plan on starting a seahorse tank in several months using a 29g I currently have to house another fish until his new home is built (an in wall 280g). Anyway, I currently just have PH and LR in the tank to provide circulation and bio-filtration. I know seahorses can't stand strong current and need to know what is the maximum flow I can put into a 29g coming from a sump? I don't want to spend double the money (high flow pump now and slow flow later). I thought about a hang on filter but that means hang on skimmer - not what I want to do so I need to go with a sump.

monkey21
03/31/2004, 12:19 AM
hey figstr,
i live in the valley also. small world.
what kinda seahorses are you gonna use. as far as i know a wet-dry can be used but it has to be a small one. because like you said the seahorses dont like current. you can also find a way to do a fuge which can help. i keep zosterae now but have researched the ;arger a little.
check out
http://www.seahorse.org.
there is a wealth of information there. and many people that can help you out also.
javi

WaGuy82
03/31/2004, 03:18 AM
My current seahorse tank is a 37 gallon. No skimmer, just live rock and sand. I think the absolute maximum would be ten times the tank size. Most people recommend 5 times, but in my experience, seahorses are not exactly feeble swimmers. If you're careful in the one the powerheads are positioned, you don't have a problem. If it's concentrated to the back of the tank, or one side or something, they'll avoid it. I find my seahorses will even play in the flow of the powerhead.

Figstr
03/31/2004, 08:30 AM
I can't say what kind I plan on keeping since my knowlege of horses is limited to low flow and brine shrimp for food at this point of my research. I need to research the types before I make any decissions of course. Thanks for the help. At least I now have an idea as to what flow pump I need to get. Monkey, I see you're in Mercedes. I was offered a job at the high school the day after I was hired by Mission, which is where I live. We definately need to get together and swap stories someday. I imagine Mercedes doesn't have much in the way of pet stores or LFS so I guess you come to McAllen for your stuff. Give me a hollar.

monkey21
03/31/2004, 10:15 AM
i would suggest starting out with H. Erectus. these are one of the cheaper ones and the easiest to take care of. they can learn to take frozen and acclimate well to tank life.
the only seahorse that can live off of brine shrimp as the main part of diet are the dwarves. the larger need enriched brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, pods, ghost shrimp and a few other things. please do a little more research as to what kind you may want then it is easier to see what you will need

Figstr
03/31/2004, 11:12 AM
As I said before, it will be serveral months before I get this going. That time will be spent on research before I get into seahorses - don't worry :) With the amount of reading and research I do, I would be able to get it going in a month or two, but because this tank is being used at the moment, it won't be for a long while. I haven't even started researching yet and probably won't for a few weeks (I lead a very busy life at times). At this point, I just don't want to buy equipment I won't need in the future for this tank.