PDA

View Full Version : Closed loop help needed

Ereefic
03/29/2004, 02:11 PM
I have a Mag 24 for my closed loop. I have 1" piping throught the how loop. When I prime it, it starts fine, but when I turn it off and plug it back in the pump doesn't want to start again, it just chatters like crazy.

If I unscrew the cap like i'm going to re-prime it, it makes a sound like your opening a 2 litre of pop.

If I re-prime it, it'll start back up.

What could be causing this?

sharkdude
03/29/2004, 02:54 PM
trapped air that is drawn back in on shut down?

is your return above or below the water line?

I am curious too.

Ereefic
03/29/2004, 04:17 PM
All outlets are below water line.

Can't see how it would be drawing in air anywhere.

Ereefic
03/29/2004, 09:13 PM
C'mon folks, could really use your help. :)

Can a primeing tube be too long? Can this be my problem? Suggestions?

CatDog
03/31/2004, 09:14 PM
Ereefic,

Hi, I saw your tagalong to my post on the water flow noise and I'm glad (not for your sake!) that it's not just me with this issue.

On the priming question, I don't have this problem, water stays in the pipes, both above and below the pump so it's always primed. Are all of your joints glued in good?

Ereefic
03/31/2004, 09:22 PM
Yeah, everything was glued very well. I sent the pump back and there sending me a new one, we'll see if this one works better.

CatDog
03/31/2004, 09:32 PM
Let me know if the new pump works out, it didn't for me when I swapped pumps. I thought for sure it was the pump because I tested an old and new pump in the bathtub submerged without plumbing so that I could isolate the noise to the pump or to the plumbing and the new pump was silent (other than the minor humming).

So, I hooked up the new one, cranked it up and still had the whizzing of water right by the intake. ****ed me off to no end.

I've given up for a few days, but I'm going to mess around with the pump and some plumbing outside just to experiment with different scenarios. The next experiment for me is to run larger diameter pipe into the pump, bumping it up from 1" to 1.5" with the idea that maybe there's not enough water to pull from the tank.

I saw your other post about your closed loop plumbing, I like how you wrapped it around the bracing on top, looks real good. Like the other guy said, my only suggestion would be to reduce the spray bar holes because I think that they will dissipate the flow too much for you.

First one to figure out our problem gets a beer! :D

Ereefic
03/31/2004, 10:47 PM
If you figure it out, be sure to post and let me know. I probably won't have the new pump till late next week.