PDA

View Full Version : skimmerless

tifferman
08/26/2001, 08:25 PM
I've just purchased a 180g that I'll be setting up as a reef tank. I like the idea of going skimmerless for personal aesthetic reasons (more natural = better). Is it as easy to do a reef tank as skimmerless as it is to do skimmed? I'll be using a 55g as a sump and if I went skimmerless would segment part of the 55 as a refugium. Also, is it true that that the dsb is the primary filter and the live rock is more decorative in nature? Thanks.

rshimek
08/27/2001, 08:51 AM
Hi,

The DSB is has much more filtration surface than does the live rock typically.

I am moving this to the main forum because I think you will get more information about skimmerless systems there.

:D

olgakurt
08/27/2001, 09:57 AM
You will find there are many routes to a succesful tank. I have managed my tank both ways. 10 years skimmerless and 1 year with a skimmer. I think a lot of your success skimmerless hinges on the quality of your water and your desired stocking levels.

billsreef
08/27/2001, 10:16 AM
I've been running a 400 gallon multi tank system skimmerless for 3 years. Each tank and vat has a DSB and I find many critters are thriving and reproducing that would not survive in a typicall heavily skimmmed set up. The main nutrient export in this system is sea grasses.

Pomacanthus1
08/27/2001, 10:23 AM
Well i've said it before and i'm going to say it again. The pros of skimming far outweigh the cons. It is just a lot safer and easier to keep a tank with one. But hey, if you feel like a challenge and want to do something different, than i guess no matter how bad that choice is nobody can really stop you from doing it.

As for the argument that natural=better, is a horse and wagon better than a gas car? Is Steel better than bamboo? You figure that one out.

volk23
08/27/2001, 10:36 AM
add your skimmerless tank pictures here http://www.skimmerless.com :D

saltshop
08/27/2001, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pomacanthus1
Well i've said it before and i'm going to say it again. The pros of skimming far outweigh the cons.

Just curious what the pros versus cons may be in a well thought out system? Having both a skimmed and unskimmed tank I can say without a doubt the skimmerless tank is by far much much easier to maintain. The visible plankton community in the skimmerless tank is on an order of a magnitude higher than the skimmed tank and the SPS corals grow 2-3 times faster than the same corals in the skimmed tank.

But hey, if you feel like a challenge and want to do something different, than i guess no matter how bad that choice is nobody can really stop you from doing it.

LOL, maybe you should explain to Mr. Borneman that he has made a poor choice as well, since his tanks have been skimmerless for I believe 5 years. Some other notable skimmerless folks would include Julian Sprung, Inland Aquatics, and Tropicorium, just to name a few. :)

Tifferman,

If you do enough research before hand a skimmerless tank can be a wonderful project. There is a bit of a balancing act to make sure that you have good nutrient export through algae and/or sea grass, mangroves, etc.. Also keep in mind things such as chemical warfar between corals etc. to minimaze any problems. FWIW the only reason the one tank is ran with a skimmer is that it is a mixed tank with both softies and SPS and the fact it also has a relativly small sump/refugium area. I am sure if you were to post this in Eric's forum he would be more than happy to help you out or just do a search there as he has had some good previous answers to threads that may explain all you need to know.

Last but not least....www.billsreef.com (see Bill above) has wonderful cultured Sea Grasses for sale pretty cheap. I ordered some about 4-6 weeks ago and they have taken off and are sending up new shoots all over. Thanks Bill! :D I did add some plant fertilizer sticks into the sand just to be sure I had enough nutrients though...seemed to work well without causing any algae blooms on the surface or anywhere else in the tank. So thanks to whoever mentioned that great idea!