PDA

View Full Version : best place to get the live rock?

Irish929
03/27/2004, 12:14 AM
So, you have a tank, and it's running well, and looking great. I have to ask, where did you get YOUR live rock? Internet? LFS? Can't say b/c the authorities are after you??? If from the internet, what site did it come from, and was it as good as they all promise it to be? Suggestions on where to buy from would be much appreciated. Thanks..

Dubbin1
03/27/2004, 12:21 AM
I got mine from a few LFS and not so LFS. I like being able to pick out the rock myself. Speaking of that, one store I went to charged me a buck more per pound since I picked it out myself :furious:

Liquid Cool
03/27/2004, 01:25 AM
I'm rather new at this so I can only give you my experience. I ordered the 90 pd box of Tonga Kaelini from Dr. Mac, and the stuff is beautiful. If I don't count the bottoms of the rock, I would say it had 70-75% coralene(sp?) algae coverage. The colors are yellow, orange, red, purple and pink. Haven't seen much life on the rock, it's probably hiding, although a few tube worms have been noted, there are also a couple of other things I don't have ID's on. Seems to be a lot of hard looking coral with a light green color too. All in all, 90 lbs, for 247.50 + 50 shipping seems like a rather good deal for what I received. 5 days into my cycling process, I have yet to see any die off, but I did have to turkey baster off a little white fuzz this morning. Beautiful stuff in my opinion. After a couple of weeks I'm going to have him send me some live sand to add to the tank.

I also have read on the forums that guys were having luck with Tampa Bay Saltwater's aquacultured rock, I took a good look at it, saw some beautiful pictures with lots of hitch-hikers, it is just out of my price range.

Best of luck in your search,

Liquid Cool

Irish929
03/27/2004, 01:18 PM
sounds good. thanks!

Wallygator
03/27/2004, 01:49 PM
Go check out TBS (http://www.tbsaltwater.com/index.html)
They are also in the sponsor forum here at RC!

Jon Lazar
03/27/2004, 05:41 PM
When I set my tank up four years ago, I bought much of my rock from a place in PA called Paragon Aquatics. The rock was about $6/lb, but it was the best I've ever seen. Completely covered in purple and red coraline. Some of the rocks had polyp colonies on them, and there were two rocks with encrusting porites. There was no die off, because the rock was shipped in the morning straight from his vats to my local airport, and I had it back in water that afternoon.

At about the same time, I also bought a box of rock from FFE. It was much cheaper; $99 for 45lbs, and it made great base rock. There was a significant difference between the two type of rock though. This rock had a lot more die-off; presumably because of the longer shipping time.

I'm getting ready to set up my tank again after moving across country, and I'd pay the premium price again in a heartbeat. I just don't think Paragon is around anymore.

Happy reefing,
Jon