PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Frags - When to use hot/cold packs?

rs2208
03/26/2004, 10:06 PM
Is there some kind of formula to use when deciding wether or not to use a hot/cold pack? If it is 70 here and 90 there, do you use a cold pack? I could imagine it getting hot in a Fed Ex truck. How about 90 here and 40 there? Thanks

ONAGI
03/26/2004, 11:49 PM
I was just thinking of this same question this morning. I also considered the temperature of the warehouse facility and truck during the route could be either very hot or cold depending on the season/day.

Adrian
03/28/2004, 12:15 AM
If the temp is extreme here, or at the destination I will use heat/cold packs, ex. if its warm here, but cold at the destination then I will use a heat pack. I consider the fact that the corals will be room temp until they leave the fed ex depot which is in the evening at which time the temp has dropped and the heat pack is just starting to kick in. In the case of it being cold here and hot there I wouldnt know as this is the hottest place on earth ;) But I would probably use a cool pack in that situation. HTH

ReeferMac
03/28/2004, 03:20 PM
If it's going to drop below 50-55 where I'm coming/going from (and that includes night time temps), I add a heat pack. Never had to use a cold pack. If it's going much over 85, I opt not to ship.

- Mac