PDA

View Full Version : High Nitrites Saw Dust in tank after fan install

Hellcat
03/26/2004, 09:42 AM
OK I have several questions.
I tested my water this morning after putting in some fans for my hood. I tried my best to cover the area to keep saw dust from getting into the tank but some got in. I netted what I could and changed my filters afterwards and have changed my carbon bag too. I tested the water and the nitrites are kinda high. Any suggestions.

Also do I need to clean that filter in my trickle filter under the bio balls or is it supposed to grow something on it?

My water is not as clear as I would like, and I have tried filter floss but its still kinda cloudy, is there anything else I can try? I saw some water clarifiers but didn't know if it was a good idea to use them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/26/2004, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't guess that the nitrite came from the sawdust assuming that it was normal wood) and I wouldn't expect the wood to have any substantial negative impact. :)

Most folks don't use bioballs and many don't use any mechanical filtration (myself included). If you use either, both should be regularly cleaned if they accumulate visible debris.

Using a skimmer may help clear the water.

Hellcat
03/26/2004, 10:59 AM
Well there was a coating of wareproof polyeurathane on the wood. Anyway maybe I am being paranoid.

I did put a skimmer in the other day so let me see what happens.

Why are people not using bio balls? What do you recommend instead?

I do have a refugium with some colerpa but I think I need more of it or possibly some other plant.

Thanks for your help.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/26/2004, 11:46 AM
Why are people not using bio balls? What do you recommend instead?

Bioballs get clogged with organic debris that decays, and can also potentially result in higher nitrate. Folks just rely on the live rock and sand for the nitrogen cycle.

Boomer
03/26/2004, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't guess that the nitrite came from the sawdust assuming that it was normal wood) and I wouldn't expect the wood to have any substantial negative impact

Nah, me either, as if this was the case you would see allot of dead fish in FW tanks, becuase of all the wood they use for decorations, not to mention the release of tannins and lignins